First adjustable. Any tips?

I have my first adjustable. Aside from opening the doors slightly before adjusting the blade exposure setting, what tips would you suggest? I have a slim adjustable and as far as I can tell it should work fine (everything feels tight and solid). I am tempted to do my first pass on 1 and then see how much of a difference 2 makes on the second pass.
Are the individual numbers pretty evenly spaced, and if so, would 9 be too much for any blade?
I'm wondering what a feather on 9 would be like? Shall I book a plastic surgery consultation?

Find one setting that works well for a couple of passes, something between 3 and 5 should be fine to start.

You can shave with an adjustable cranked up, get used to it first though. ;)

Thanks.
Next I need to decide which blade to try with it. I don't want to use a super smooth or super sharp blade at first; I think a nice,middle ground blade would be best? Probably a Lord brand, maybe a Shark.

NotTheStig said:
Thanks.
Next I need to decide which blade to try with it. I don't want to use a super smooth or super sharp blade at first; I think a nice,middle ground blade would be best? Probably a Lord brand, maybe a Shark.

Hi there,

I'd start with the setting on #3, which is on the milder side but still effective. Many people set their Gillette adjustables to somewhere between 3-6, and no one I know uses it set on #1.

Just pop your normal blade in the thing to do a true test. No worries about it being too sharp, unless it's a Feather.

Finally, make sure you twist the handle that extra 1/4 turn to lock the blade in place. A floppy blade is a mischievous blade......

Good luck with the new addition to your shaving arsenal,

Martin

Oh yeah, one other thing to do is check for the blade exposure being even on both sides. What sometimes happens is the gap between the blade and safety bar can be uneven, and sometimes you can eyeball it. That can cause a bit of a rougher road on that one side, and it does come up with some slims.

Hi Not the Stig

I used my one for the first time on Thursday and had it set on 4 for my face then 3 for my neck this was with a superthin.
Result was very nearly BBS.
Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. I've taken on board what everyone's said. I opted for an astra superior stainless as it is a blade I know well and love.
Started on 3 after checking blade alignment and an extra quarter turn to keep blade super secure. This is nice. Smooth and familiar. The round edges of the doors on my face reminding me of my super speed (usually use merkur 38 or 39). Ok, one pass at 3 has been nice but still a fair bit of stubble. Never mind, mantic says stubble reduction, not stubble elimination, on each pass. But I will try a 5. Hmm, more rasping sound and this feels closer. Like it. Got halfway through this setting and decided, f!@& it, let's ignore the sage and well respected advice and see what this bad.boy can do with an ashtray blue on 9.
First thoughts, wow. I have moved the blade a millimetre and can feel every molecule of it against my face. Be careful here stig, sorry, notthestig, because this feels like holding a feather against my cheek without putting it in a razor first.

Managed my second pass with one tiny nick on thus setting and it is by a huge margin the closest, smoothest shave I have ever had or imagined. All the tricky areas that I accept will never be BBS, even with a feather (although it comes extremely close) cleaned up without incident. It feels more like a lethal weapon, and commands respect and utmost attention, but man alive, why would anybody ever use any other razor? Even if I had used it on 9 on the first pass I'm pretty sure it'd take only a couple of minor touch ups on setting 1 to get BBS.
I wonder how a bad blade would perform? I will be finding out how they and every other blade I have over the next few weeks perform on probably all the settings.
What a razor!

Cheers mate. You should give it a try It is amazing! Just take your time - it's like defusing a bomb (and probably about as satisfying after. Just don't make one false move...)

Aww Dipesh, that sounded so unhappy M8 !

I mostly use my Slim at 7 or 8 & the best blades I found for it are the Gillette Super Thins. For some reason the Feathers just don't feel comfy for me in this razor.

JohnnyO. :shave

Thanks JohnnyO. I'll try a Super Thin in it tomorrow.

What do people use the lower settings for? Safely cleaning up the last remnants of stubble after 3 passes? Is it effective at that?

I was quite unhappy at the time Johnny!

Anyway, after being a hero and using setting 9. I went for a 3 pass shave starting at 1 and my last pass was at 3.

That lead to a super close and zero irritation shave. I was impressed.

Next time I'll start at 2 and finish at 4. I think this will be almost BBS if not BBS. But I may get irritation so I may go back to the 1-2-3 settings.

As for touchup's I would always go for a lower setting. As to what though, for me it would be 1 or 2 but not sure what will be good for you.

Back
Top Bottom