finishing stone

It's a Thuringian, I should think! If you're looking at one of Neil's Müllers, it's a very fine finisher, quite slow, can be used with slurry and has a rubbing stone provided, and may well be a bit finer than the 10k. I tend to finish with one of these, or one of those green mystery hones which may well be another Thuringian, too. Very nice edges if you're not in a hurry. There are plenty of other options available, some faster, some even slower, but the Müller seems like a good cost effective solution to me. By the way, it'll need lapping.

If you take HM up on his offer, don't forget your change.

Jimmy - didn't you already post on B&B on the 25th that you already had both a Naniwa 10k and (for some strange reason, because it is also in the 10k range) a combi coticule? Or am I getting a bit confused here?

Regards,
Neil

You have a fine finisher in what you already have - the coticule. Take some time to get to know it before you feel the need to buy another hone - and I mean some time: a week or so isn't long enough - think 6 months or so.

Regards,
Neil

Ok Neil will give it a try before I buy another one but can u tell the difference from a coti to a a 10k or thurlington or is the difference minimal

With a good coticule and good technique minimal - the difference is really between smooth and very sharp v a little less smooth and a little bit sharper, but its all relative: in a blind test you wouldn't probably notice it. If you want an appreciable difference you have to go appreciably up the scale to much higher grit stones. Learn your technique first - you may not need to go higher.

Regards,
Neil

Like I said before - get to know your coticule first. They are natural stones, so no two are alike and the grit equivalence (you can't ascribe a grit rating to a natural stone in reality - we just use the convention because we need some sort of a yardstick for comparison purposes) has to be worked out. With a thick slurry they will cut like a bevel-setter (given enough time), with a creamy slurry like a 6000 - 8000 stone, with a thin slurry getting on to 10,000 and - depending on the stone - water alone will exceed 10,000. Some claim as high as 15,000, but that sounds a bit like wishful thinking to me. After you have honed a fair few razors you might be in the position to have worked out roughly what grit rating you can achieve. Until you know that, it is pointless buying another stone. I don't think I can add anything further to the subject.

Regards,
neil

jimmyman said:
Right was gonna buy a naniawa 10k
But I also was looking at the thurlington think that's how you spel it
What is a good finishing hone
Thanks
I have the nani 12K that I finish on primarily.The 10K gets better reviews in terms of feedback than the 12K. I am told the Thuringian and Escher hones are great finishers as well. In many cases its the honer, not the stone.
However, if you already own a coticule, you should go with Neil's advice and give it time. I personally do not care much for coticules as finishing stones, but not because they are not effective, but because I like a more refined edge and I do not use coticules much so my expertise isn't as well with them. Remember too that coticules beign natural stones will have variation in how well they work. Any natural stone will be this way. Hence the bargain Chinese water stone is a great finisher, but it is super slow and requires many laps for effectiveness. Many professional honers also do not use them for their service because unless you have a lot of experience with them, they are not as consistent as your Nani's, Eschers, or other stones for finishign specifically.
Give it time, I think you will find that the coticule will give you all that you need. If not, go with the naniwa, they are great stones, easy to lap, and produce a nice shaving edge.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom