Fido's groupies

Hello Fido

Was working backshift a couple of weeks ago and had cause to enter a local Community Centre. Lo and behold! The local bell ringers society were rehearsing and polishing their, well bells!. I went in introduced myself and began the soft soap routine, flirting with the ladies. Told them about you and your hobby, I was immediately binned! No amount of eyelash fluttering could re-instate me. You certainly piqued the interest of quite a few of the members (all female) of a 'certain age'. First thing they asked was if you were married and did you have money. One of them, about 83, said the answer to number 1 was irrelevant if the answer to number 2 was yes. Saucy old minx. Anyway, a warm welcome awaits you in Helensburgh.

Ding Dong!

What a hoot!

One of my connections is membership of the American Bell Association - it's developed into an international group of collectors. They hold annual conventions in the USA, have regional group (one for UK) publish their own magazine etc. Most members put me in the shade - although I seem to be the only one to have published a blog, so I get a lot of attention through that. A fellow died last year who had a collection of 10,000 bells. He's left enough money to have a museum built to display them.

I do seem to get quite a few emails from mature ladies. I always mention I'm happily married so no problems yet.

SirPrize said:
Fido said:
I do seem to get quite a few emails from mature ladies. I always mention I'm happily married so no problems yet.
Opportunity here for another blog - Fido's belle collection :D

Veeerrrrrry good SP, more elegant than mine...

What do you call group of belles? A chime?

...and a group of brushes should be called a cete.

Shirley it's got to be Fido's cete of belles.

rangers62 said:
One of them, about 83, said the answer to number 1 was irrelevant if the answer to number 2 was yes. Saucy old minx. Anyway, a warm welcome awaits you in Helensburgh.

Surely that should be "Helen's burgh"

antdad said:
What do you call group of belles? A chime?
Reminds me of that old story about the group of Oxford dons who come upon a group of prostitutes. The metallurgist says "a smelting of 'ores"; the musicologist "a flourish of strumpets" and the professor of literature "an anthology of pros".

And by the way, hello Ollie! I thought you'd given us up for Lent.

Rev-O said:
rangers62 said:
One of them, about 83, said the answer to number 1 was irrelevant if the answer to number 2 was yes. Saucy old minx. Anyway, a warm welcome awaits you in Helensburgh.

Surely that should be "Helen's burgh"

Ol
It was definitely Helen's something, burrow maybe :oops:

Helensburgh, a quaint little town on the North bank of the firth of the River Clyde. Population approx. 15,000. Birthplace of John Logie Baird and Deborah Kerr.
Home to Walter Smith, manager of Glasgow Rangers, workplace of Rangers62.
Apparently a shoe-in with the ladies if you can ring a bell, or have good clapper control. ;)

Back
Top Bottom