feather AS-D2 razor

Last week i obtained a good deal on a used Feather AS d2 razor and as i had seen lots of positive reviews on it i ultimately pulled the trigger. Did i need it not really, but i would resell it again if it did not deliver so it was hard to argue with the way i sold it to myself:cool:

i was severely tempted to get it before because all the reviews claimed is was a very mild good razor, but as it is so expensive i decided i would not pay full price and wait for a good deal which good for me came by last week.

after using it now for several times its very good and very much different to what i expected as i was used to a Merkur Progress razor that does mild to aggressive, but the feather razor really feels totally different and not sure why? i expect because of the geometry of the blade guard which to me almost makes it feel like a cartridge razor in the sense that it pulls the skin somewhat before the razorblade gets to work. In all a very very comfortable tool. feels much better then i expected upfront. There is no noticeable blade feel even though its quite efficient. those who prefer good blade feel wont like this one i believe.

again would i pay full price knowing what i know now perhaps now yes, but certainly if you like mild razors and can pick one up for a good deal i would certainly recommend.

Good it worked for you, it's a cracking looking razor and great build quality....But it's not for me, I've had 3 of them and never really got on with it and with the 40o shave angle the shaves were never all that great, I had better shaves with a Tech.

I love mine
a fabulous Razor & don’t think i would ever want to get rid of it.
As for pulling the skin before it cuts i don’t think that happens
well not to me
by "pulling" the skin i mean sort of what those rubber ribbed edges/ridges do on a cartridge razor

I quite like mine but am a bit sad that its reputation for precision construction is let down. The top cap can rotate very slightly on the handle length axis relative to the base. This means that the blade gap can be slightly tapered. This bugs me although it probably is not enough to really affect comfort. I keep fiddling it when tightening up on a blade.
My Henson has absolutely no movement in any direction between top and base and gives me an even gentler shave.

I quite like mine but am a bit sad that its reputation for precision construction is let down. The top cap can rotate very slightly on the handle length axis relative to the base. This means that the blade gap can be slightly tapered. This bugs me although it probably is not enough to really affect comfort. I keep fiddling it when tightening up on a blade.
My Henson has absolutely no movement in any direction between top and base and gives me an even gentler shave.
Ian iv never experienced this
have you tried a washer between handle & base plate ?

Ian iv never experienced this
have you tried a washer between handle & base plate ?
Yes Mike - I use a nylon washer there. However I cannot see how this could affect this effect. I'm sure the top plate and base are individually within tolerance - however they may be at opposite ends of the slackness in fit of the top plate protrusions within the base slots. Thus allowing some rotation.

i will check indeed as this could indeed be the reason

Yeah i understand what your saying but i don’t get that and haven’t heard of anyone else getting it.
Are you sure you’ve got the Razor at the right angle ?
Remember Feather is different from standard angle
Yes Mike, i believe you are indeed right! that does indeed make a difference! thanks for the tip

Just seen online.
Customized in polished version.

Lovely.
vES3036.jpg

I frequently use the Feather razor and enjoy comparing it to my other razors, both modern and vintage, like the Tech. Over time, I've come to appreciate what Feather achieved even more. I find it shaves differently from the Tech, rather, more like a Flare Tip Rocket. However, it's smoother against the grain than either the Tech or Rocket. When I shave my head or face ATG, often on the first pass, the Feather cuts effortlessly and smoothly, even on several days of growth. I haven't found a smoother razor yet. That said, the Tech and Rocket remain firm favourites and I admire greatly what Gillette accomplished, decades ago; but Feather improved upon their design, especially with a Feather blade.

Back
Top Bottom