Favorite American Soaps?

Lots I would like to try but out off by the shipping, VAT and the Royal Mail ransom. I have just checked out the Artisansoapshoppe that Wet the Face has reviewed: $32 bssic cost or $50 Priority which is absolutely nuts.Only US soap I have tried (apart from FINE- made in Netherlands) is PAA CAD: lovely smell but lather is a bit thin. How do Stirlings and B & M compare performance wise compared to Wickhams, Nanny's, OSP and P&B?

I am tempted by the Mama Bear Brute though. I love the scent of Brute and such a cute name! ("only" $16 shipping too: why are US shipping quotes so variable?)

Last edited:
But, I'm Dutch so I have no particular reason to choose British Artisan because of patriotisme or some other sentiments. Shipping from Maggards USA is about the same as shipping from an UK vendor. I was just wondering if the American soaps are a real asset, something worthwhile?? I Iike Truefitt and Hill, Tobs, Wickhams, MWF.

I can only comment on two US based soaps. PPA CAD: nice scent but down on performance compared to the Brits and FINE: very good in all areas (but made in your country). I am aiming to try Mama Bear soap soon as her postage is manageable at 16 bucks and she comes highly recommended.

I can only comment on two US based soaps. PPA CAD: nice scent but down on performance compared to the Brits and FINE: very good in all areas (but made in your country). I am aiming to try Mama Bear soap soon as her postage is manageable at 16 bucks and she comes highly recommended.

Your experience with PAA is so not like my experience 10 seconds load gives me a slick and creamy lather. I have only tried two Brits artisans OSP which is very good and P&B which I found it to be a bit better than average.
I have also tried 2 soaps by Cheaselface and 2 soaps by Reefpoint and I would rate them below PAA and Stirling.

Last edited:
I would recommend Nannys and Wickham as Brit artisan makers to try: both superb and Nanny's makes both tallow and veggie soaps.

Fine is my favourite (maybe I should say favorite) but that is made in NL. The others are good B&M PAA TFFC etc but to be honest Wickham Nanny's and OSP to name but three are better and cheaper!

Some other good ones I have tried are Reef Point, tried their Aviator soap and it was a fantastic leathery scent, really regret trading that one. I would certainly get it again.

Had a Tiki soap, which was alright Go West was the flavour, another leathery scent. It was good but I didn't reach for it.

Caties Bubbles was a nice lather but for all three I have tried I have reacted to with soreness LPV, Pommes au Four & Spanish Holiday, which is a shame because they were great.

Razorock has been nice soap, a very cheap and easily accesible option given the many stockists this side of the pond (great synthetic brushes too).

Although I see they get slammed online I always thought Col Conk soaps were quite decent I tried their Amber and Bay Rum, one of the few Bay Rums I enjoyed and few soaps I have completely finished.

Not American but just south of the border in Mexico, Archaic Alchemy do some great soaps, I have their Citrus Mint and Eureka soaps and they are excellent and very afordable, both shipped for about £18.

I have the Aviator by Reef Point that I would be prepared to trade for a similar soap.

Another soap that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Crown King, PAA sister company. The formula is a little different to PAA and for some people a better formula. I have the Tack Room which performs brilliantly..... another leathery scent that I love.

In fearness to soap makers, the odds are very much in favour of the OP buying a decent to excellent soap. The competition is so tough that I doubt a bad soap would be around for long. The biggest problem for most people is to find a scent we really like.

That is very true, very hard to find a bad soap these days, save the odd Etsy/farmers market artisan. Most artisan soaps are pretty good these days.

If you're UK based I wouldn't mind a trade for it. My list of stuff is contained in my signature, perhaps we could sort something. I keep forgetting Maggards has its cheap International shipping.

Sure, I had not thought of farmers market

I got mine from Maggards but even with cheap shipping you are looking at £18 minimum.

I can't see your signature. ...