Fairphone 5 - a sustainable mobile......

I like to mooch about tech articles and stumbled across the Fairphone 5.

Described as a sustainable phone that is modular, and can be repaired with a single screwdriver. 10 years of software updates t'boot. I quite like the journalists angle that you need to be committed to the ethos of Fairphone - could you be part of this client group? Not sure how the hardware will sustain over 10 years. Decent price tag. But I quite like the idea. Thinking back over the last 10 years - probably had 5 phones....

Last edited:
I have a Fairphone 3, and I like it. Only 3 years so far, but doesn't feel lacking to me yet - it runs just fine. However I don't use it for anything hardware intensive like games, and of course it doesn't have the latest gimmicks like 5G.

As far as I know the company is actually employing people to add support of this phone to new versions of Android - and this involves actual work essentially because hardware manufacturers tend to work on shorter cycles and by now they moved on. To me this is reassuring, although 10 years is really optimistic I'd say.

And the price was really not low - at the time I was buying this, a Motorola with more-less the same chipset was maybe 2/3 of the price, maybe 1/2 of you'd be buying open box. Of course non removable battery, different cameras, etc.

Recently there was an article about the fairphone 2, that got 7 years of updates. Don't know how long it will be supported.
10 years seems to me not realistic, at least not for Android version upgrades, security updates looks possible.
https://shop.fairphone.com/fairphone-5?ref=header €699
Fairphone 4 €529
I was reading a review this morning about the new Google Pixel 8 which comes with 7 years of updates - it's been queried whether Google can support their own phone with their own OS for 7 years :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: abj
To be honest I only change phones if I really have to.

Not sure when ingot this one, but it was well before covid, so it's probably 5 years old

Battery fine so no need to upgrade in the foreseeable.....

My current phone is from feb / march this year, Motorola E32 Android 11
The former was about 5 years old, Nokia 3.1 Android 10. Got 3 years security updates and 2 version upgrades ( 8 -> 9, 9 -> 10)

i'm still using a samsung galaxy s3 that i got in 2012 it still works perfectly well as a phone, texter and runs firefox as a browser.
so i have got my moneys worth out of it.

edit for more info. it's still on the original battery. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom