Face lathering with Creams

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is much to be said for building lather in a bowl/mug, you do get ultimate control and you really get to feel and view
the transitions that a lather goes through as well as aiding heat retention.

Having said that I have really enjoyed using this fuss free method as a by-product of creating Superlather.

Give your'e brush a good soaking in the hottest water available for a minute or two. I just give this brush a
"gentle" squeeze to remove excess water. With creams the brush has to have some residual water content but it really
depends on how dense the knot is.

34042895.jpg

Put a fingernail size dollop of cream into the heart of the knot by either using your finger or in this case inserting the tube
and qiving a little squeeze. This is engine room of the brush and where the real action takes place.

81246543.jpg

Start lathering your face nice circular motions, paying particular attention to problem areas.

62515269.jpg

You should be able to feel the lather increase in volume as you agitate and then begin to thicken.

62515269.jpg

If needed add water by dipping the tips of the brush and continue to agitate, I like to aim for a
consistency of between loosely whipped double cream and hand cream.

79112914.jpg

It's a method that really lends itself to fully loading the brush for multiple passes.

59206046.jpg

Keep agitating until the mix is thick and slick and a minimum of visible air bubbles.
Use your'e brush to then paint the lather to even out and remove any excess.

68975917.jpg

Hope this helps, this method is rapid (< 1 min) and probably
more suited to denser brushes. Give it a go let us know.

Thanks for this. I've been working hard at improving my lather this week. I really enjoy using a bowl. Things improved after my visit to Hungerford. Robert applies cream to the tip of the brush and works it into the side of a basin. He squeezed water from the brush and shook the remainder of loose water off. Simply left the brush damp. A thick lather quickly emerged which was applied quite thinly to the skin. I had been leaving too much water on the brush and was ending up with loose fluffy lather that I had been putting quite thickly on my face.
I have now tried face lathering and it is very satisfying. But I prefer the bowl - seem more in control. It's good of you to take the trouble to help us newbies along.

Fido, it does time to get a feel for what characteristics your'e brush has, stick with the bowl its the best way of understanding how to build lather properly and retain heat in the lather and the brush.

Just started using creams recently and glad to say this is basically the method I came up with using trial and error. I discovered that the brush be drier rather than wetter to start with as you can always add a drop to help the lather along.

I have the Palmolive cream, which in my opinion is not as good as the soap. I also have a couple of samples sent to me by Dan at The Shaving Shack. These are of his own product (soon to be available) and I presume they are of a higher quality than the Palmolive as I prefer the lather they give.

I must say that I prefer cream for days when I'm in a hurry i.e. when I've got to spend less than half an hour in the bathroom. :lol:

I don't use a bowl or my face, I use my hand, similar to the images above, with one exception, MWF.

However, I put the cream on my hand and then lather it, not in the brush. I work it into a lather, and any lather that stays on my hand I spread on my face before the loaded brush hits my face. Seems to work ok, and as Vinny points out, it's one less thing to clutter up the bathroom and to wash out.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom