Extro Cosmesi Soap Review Thread

Leave the snails alone man !!!!
Fear not my vegan friend - from the Holland and Barrett website -

'How is Dr Organic Snail Gel Cream made?

You'll be pleased to know that no harm comes to the snails to obtain Dr Organic Snail Gel. It's harvested from snails that are farmed humanely under certified organic conditions and are free to roam. On their travels, they move over glass panels which are used to safely collect the mucus secretion, which is then filtered and concentrated by vacuum evaporation to reduce its water content, before a mild preservative is added to maintain its shelf life.'

Quality bollocks - farmed humanely? - are there battery snail farms? - somebody should tell PETA - free to roam? - by no stretch of the imagination do snails roam. - I.

You'll be pleased to know that no harm comes to the snails to obtain Dr Organic Snail Gel. It's harvested from snails that are farmed humanely under certified organic conditions and are free to roam. On their travels, they move over glass panels which are used to safely collect the mucus secretion, which is then filtered and concentrated by vacuum evaporation to reduce its water content, before a mild preservative is added to maintain its shelf life.'

Quality bollocks - farmed humanely? - are there battery snail farms? - somebody should tell PETA - free to roam? - by no stretch of the imagination do snails roam. - I.
They don't battery farm well. Large concentrations of snails will build pubs, befriend slugs and generally become quite unruly. Their area will ultimately become a ghetto.

slugpub.jpg

Sadly their highly sought mucas is then replaced by a vomit like secretion due to the ingestion of John Smith's.

They don't roam far very quickly !

IMG_20200607_162110.jpg

Razor: Blackbird SB
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (3)
Brush: AP Shave 28mm SynBad
Soap: Extro Vetiver
Pre: Proraso Cypress and Vetiver
ASL: Osma Alum
ASB: RSC

The final Extro soap of this test. This has been a nice experiment as there's not been a poor performer in the group and none of the scents have been unpleasant - even sweaty Egyptian man!

Based on the scent from the jar, I opted to save this one for last as it smells divine. This isn't a dirty vetiver. Here's the notes:

Head: Vetiver, Bergamot, Lemon, Grapefruit, Pineapple.
Heart: Vetiver, Lavender, Rose, Gardenia, Violet, Nutmeg.
Background: Vetiver, Amber, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla.

Apparently the scent is the same as that used for MDL 4 Vetiver - maybe that means something to somebody? Seems to be an unfortunate translation here though:

Screenshot_20200606_101509_com.brave.browser~2.jpg

Anyway, on to the shave. The smell! Oh the smell. An absolute pleasure. The lather was exceptional - I may go so far as to say the best yet. Perhaps it's unfair to attach that title to this soap though as there's another argument that says I've mastered the Extro soap base over the 10 jars. Either way, great lather and lots of it. This AP Shave Co brush (SynBad) is very good and worked well with this soap. Difficult to gauge residual slickness as the BIC and Blackbird pairing are so effective I could have walked away happy and smooth from a single pass. I've enjoyed the run with the Blackbird and will certainly be reaching for it in the future. It's a beautifully designed and made razor - truly artisan!

Anyway, I hope you've all enjoyed my ramblings. I appreciate my lack of a common testing and evaluation methodology makes it difficult to compare these soaps but that's just how I roll. What I can confidently say is that Don Donato makes excellent soaps and I believe we should all have at least one of these in our dens.

My favourite? Difficult to pick one but I'd say my top 3 are Vetiver, Fra Rinik and Felce Biancospino. Pirata and its cool red colour isn't far behind though.

So, the O'Selvaggio. My first experience with Extro soaps and initial impressions are that it's an awesome performer. Loading and lathering was easy peasy and once lathered I found it to be super slick. (To me, it's slicker than the Haslinger soap I've tried...and I thought that was slick)
The perfect balance of slickness and creaminess in my opinion and gave me a very close nick-free shave. I know that @Boycie83 said that the soap felt a little tingly for him, but I didn't feel any strange sensations or anything on my face. Post-shave also felt good, nice amount of hydration.
The scent is a bit puzzling. Maybe Boycie or anyone else that has used this stuff will agree with me or having something to add, but what I got from instantly was a smell of wet paint. It's a kind sweet/musky smell.
There's been painting going on in my house the past few days and to my nose, this stuff smells like paint. To be fair, there's also a bit of a cologne-y quality to the scent but I picked the paint like scent more when it was in the bowl and when it was on my face. (The overall scent is pretty mild mind you).
I found it actually picked up a little more after I rinsed off and it also seemed to take on more of the cologne side of the scent. Smells good anyway! I also enjoy the smell of paint, so neither of the scents I pick up from this stuff are a negative for me; just something I noticed.
Like I said, maybe someone else with experience of this soap could leave their take on the scent. Anyways, all in all, an amazing performing soap as I'm all other Extro soaps are!

Last edited:
So, the O'Selvaggio. My first experience with Extro soaps and initial impressions are that is an awesome performer. Loading and lathering was easy peasy and once lathered I found it to be super slick. (To me, it's slicker than the Haslinger soap I've tried...and I thought that was slick)
The perfect balance of slickness and creaminess in my opinion and gave me a very close nick-free shave. I know that @Boycie83 said that the soap felt a little tingly for him, but I didn't feel any strange sensations or anything on my face. Post-shave also felt good, nice amount of hydration.
The scent is a bit puzzling. Maybe Boycie or anyone else that has used this stuff will agree with me or having something to add, but what I got from instantly was a smell of wet paint. It's a kind sweet/musky smell.
There's been painting going on in my house the past few days and to my nose, this stuff smells like paint. To be fair, there's also a bit of a cologne-y quality to the scent but I picked the paint like scent more when it was in the bowl and when it was on my face. (The overall scent is pretty mild mind you).
I found it actually picked up a little more after I rinsed off and it also seemed to take on more of the cologne side of the scent. Smells good anyway! I also enjoy the smell of paint, so neither of the scents I pick up from this stuff are a negative for me; just something I noticed.
Like I said, maybe someone else with experience of this soap could leave their take on the scent. Anyways, all in all, an amazing performing soap as I'm all other Extro soaps are!
Glad you like it. I seem to recall someone mentioning that the scent is a take on Dior Eau Sauvage but I'm only familiar with the modern version.

Glad you like it. I seem to recall someone mentioning that the scent is a take on Dior Eau Sauvage but I'm only familiar with the modern version.
Ah thanks Chris :)
Would make sense with the name! I've not smelt the DIor, or many scents for that matter so my nose isn't the most refined! Anyone interested in the soap should maybe not take my opinion or wet paint comment too seriously... haha

How would you describe this scent? Is it lavender-forward? Thank you
I've just had a quick sniff and I'd describe it as orange and fern forward. There's a lavender note there but it's in the background.

Caveat: the translation between my nose, brain and keyboard should be taken with a pinch of salt

Thanks! I've finally purchased a hefty sample of P's English Fern and to my disappointment, it's too lavender-forward.
So now I'm searching for more like fern-oakmoss-citrussy fougere with muted lavender.
So your experience and educated opinion are highly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom