Ever ready curious

I donated an American 1912 to the pass around box a while back; I hope folks are getting the use of it. My preference is for the British ones. It might be my imagination, but I feel they just have the edge (so to speak) in terms of efficiency; as well as finish. Plus, those handles…the chain link, Bathroom Sets and Peerless. Then there’s the Streamlines etc.

It’s reassuring that they can still be obtained relatively cheaply, if one’s careful. Every wet shaver at least needs to try one of these fellows.
Sounds like with yours and pjgh's valued input and expertise, I just have to obtain & use one of the 1912's many Thanks both, it is appreciated greatly.

Yes.

My preference for the British 1912 is simply that they clean up near perfectly ever time with little more than a brief smush of Peek polish and a light scrub with liquid soap. Not that many American 1912s won't, but I've had more bother with American and found many with pitted plating.

That said, there are many American 1912s that came with a gold wash that is likely to be fully worn off, leaving a lovely brass finish. That's not something you can find in the British line.

Also be aware that American 1912s gained a different comb from 1930 when they were revamped as the "Gem Junior". The comb loses the very corners, appearing quite curved. It does make a difference, but I'm not sure whether that's for the better ... or not. Naturally, if you want a lovely curved cap then you'll need to look to the earlier American models.

That's the 1912. The 1914s and 1924s are all American. The Micromatics are all American. Later models, like the Featherweight/Natural Angle/Heavy Flat Top, the Pushbutton and the Contour are absolutely indisitnguishable between British and American made. All great razors!
Sorry pjgh kept typing your name wrong sorry dear chap.

Kampfe Brothers original on the 'Voices of Victory' LP

0c8372ea38295f700ac883c5ee34c868.png

British ER 1912 purchased on the Bay. I've been studying all the comments and didn't want to ask any questions which may already have been asked, so took the plunge! I'm not looking to start a collection, just to try a cheap single edge classic razor for head shaving so for less than £20 I think it was worth a punt. Now I just have to get the blades........!

Matron says I’m not allowed to talk to you very naughty men so I’m going for a lie down in a darkened room…oh dear and I have been threatened with Matron’s patented colonic irrigation TM (something about tubes, water and a bicycle pump), catheters and rectal examination and she’s muttering wire brush and dettol under her breath constantly and…and. Oh deary dear!

I am also under orders to purge my diseased brain of things like ER, 1912, Micromatic, Brass, GEM, Clog Pruf, Bullet Tip, G-Bar, GEM and GEM and oh I saw these pretty Junior things with brass heads and big fat handles like the 3D printed thread ones. Sunken treasure, Old Types, German ships, WW2, divers and GEM, yes ahem, GEM. And I like Connaught Shaving but I’M NOT ALLOWED ANYMORE! gem, jem, jim, who’s jim? eBay bad, Etsy bad, here bad, there bad…it’s all much too much!!! Can I go now, please…?

ER 1912 arrived today, head seems in pretty good nick and tried a blade which seems to fit fine. BUT....the handle is an aluminium one with dodgy threads, it's very tight and doesn't screw up completely.
Were the original handles ever aluminium or have I got a cheap replacement? (no mention of the handle material on the seller's page).
It's not worth the hassle to send it back, and I'm generally happy with the condition, but does anyone know of an alternative outlet for purchasing a handle?
IMG_20210924_124554.jpgIMG_20210924_123218_edit_12316875775723.jpgIMG_20210924_123253.jpgIMG_20210924_123317.jpg

Back
Top Bottom