Ever ready curious

Yes, into the 1950s the handles came in that style either heavyweight or lightweight. Screw the handle up, back it off, screw up, back it off ... it'll find its way tight. I've only encountered that issue on examples that appear to be almost entirely unused, so take that as some comfort. It will nip up with continued use.

Enjoy!
Cheers Paul. It’s a lightweight handle. Had already tried as you suggested and maximum tightness is to about half the thread length. But I’m just happy that it doesn’t seem to be a cheap replacement!!:)

First shave with it tonight, Had planned to use the Leaf but I couldn’t wait. Mightily impressed - easy to find the angle, smooth and sharp. No issues at all, 4 day growth destroyed. Waiting for the re-growth before I give it 100%, but f… me I’m converted
That first shave with a 1912 is a buzz! Remember it :cool:

GEM blades (assuming you have a GEM clicked in) certainly mellow on the second and third shave, so where that first shave is seethingly sharp and your light touch has hopefully saved from any post-shave irritation, the second and on will be increasingly smoother. But remember that for when you pop a fresh blade in.

I think it's also highly probable that skin reacts differently to thicker blades. I know from shaving with thin double edge, to GEM blades, to thicker still (carpet cutter) Durham Duplex blades to straight edge, regrowth and pace of regrowth can be different. In short, when you shave regularly and routinely and then change the type of blade, your routine might need to adapt accordingly.

You'll find your way. Great that you enjoyed it.

One final point - the angle it very forgiving and the considerable sharpness and firmness of the blade can cut clean at all sorts of angles. Having the cap almost flat to the skin is definitely the way to go - experiment with the angle a little to get it perfect, certainly as the blade progresses.

Judging by the handle, it looks like part of a lovely example of a 1950s ‘Peerless’ set @BigBruce . @mpf9ret may confirm this, but these 1950s ERs with the aluminium handles (‘Peerless’ and ‘Bathroom’ sets) were designed to accommodate existing Gem blades; as opposed to earlier 1912/14/24s that usually had their own wedge-shaped stropping blade.

They’re excellent razors. Enjoy yours.

Judging by the handle, it looks like part of a lovely example of a 1950s ‘Peerless’ set @BigBruce . @mpf9ret may confirm this, but these 1950s ERs with the aluminium handles (‘Peerless’ and ‘Bathroom’ sets) were designed to accommodate existing Gem blades; as opposed to earlier 1912/14/24s that usually had their own wedge-shaped stropping blade.

They’re excellent razors. Enjoy yours.

To add to this, yes, the Peerless came in this configuration (late head and lightweight handle) specifically in coloured cases with clear lids. The Peerless also came with a round aluminium handle. This configuration was also to be found from the very end of the 1940s into the 1950s in many sets including a similar a coloured case (no clear lid) and the clamshell style DeLuxe set.

Here's an Australian Peerless set under the GEM branding with coloured base and clear lid:

AM-JKLVtYzhyjkx8mp2Zc4DQELS3tSpMGt0d01hEmobEic3hPm3sFKNr7ajsPQTdJNDfS5y3rElreRI4chAwiBwgapvIGdN9uv3B8DIDo83I5Mie5Gr-VzogkpcQeg-Tn0gnjGdb2hgNx6dh2fmEH_2GD9jOFg=w1200

... the Peerless with a round handle, but note the case with a coloured base and clear lid:

AM-JKLVbr39fO6Zy7wF-nlPypeqQLT08vTGsV_jGiLNZnkGpga1nd5cYXHMuT567KC5hGhxrF75bwhkN8_Xi1pDeWe6oYBY166b31r7GDBw-I5oPiIAHGKenVMgm-i6kBm2qYJHcmKmWP6Vf-rkaKBA0r59DLw=w1200

... and a flip-open case from the earlier part of the 1950s, all coloured and can be found with both heavy and lightweight handles:

AM-JKLVE3Eilm_gYrNtXcrV7sTfoq0_5nP2GAk6n9XXgBrPDglwep9Kl21E1Ng5uncLTl9LjlHZ3ia8ChJbkRkzInExoV9dP3XpLiKzZsd4lvJZmjIfXPobhIVIQYBsl9zIhc_sIFBbXj0ez9caqQdFKVJdTJw=w1200

These are actually the same bases as the clear lidded cases above. Easy for spotters, the full coloured case is earlier 1950s, the clear lids later on into that decade.

... and some DeLuxe sets, which are all shown with the heavier handle but I do have a mixed white base black lid one with a lightweight hande:

AM-JKLUDyN-evXmpUIBVzw2vDC85Z41_aJ89VhnB2nD-aLlf-94tzXbWoAeqEP0KjaW1N4l1UtYCGXqiD_9nh1PBgdGIo-IGR0FVuWVMlyua-Gg1PksyoymsGo4YbjMyG86Jo2hd5_APLYc7g_MrY4mGhBpUKw=w1200

Good old Peek, eh? :cool:

Hijacking the thread for a quick question. Peek polish is mild enough for these 1912 razors if they don't have rust? Is it for cleaning, scrubbing or shining?
My only experience with these metal polish materials is "brasso" that we used in Greece for shinigh old rusty metals but i think this is quite rough for a razor if its not rusty.

Hijacking the thread for a quick question. Peek polish is mild enough for these 1912 razors if they don't have rust? Is it for cleaning, scrubbing or shining?
My only experience with these metal polish materials is "brasso" that we used in Greece for shinigh old rusty metals but i think this is quite rough for a razor if its not rusty.

Peek is almost entirely without abrasion. Use a cloth (yellow duster rather than microfibre as microfibre can cause micro-marring) to generate some abrasion or for grubby razors, I usually use an old toothbrush. Consider it a chemical cleanser/polish. It will polish most metals - used on nickel plate, silver plate, brass, aluminium and stainless steel, it polishes all those up superbly.

Back
Top Bottom