Ever ready curious

It never hurts to have a back up razor should the worst happen ! :)

Paul.
Absolutely. It's interesting what turns up when I rummage through the drawers, after a long absence. I found a brand-new fat handle No. 44, with the card wrapper and the head still in the cellophane wrapper, and a few other treasures. I'd still like one of those Hybrid Techs, though. My Twig razor is with RM, so another treat for these days of tedium and jabbing.

Apologies for thread drift. Time to throw another log in the stove.

Absolutely. It's interesting what turns up when I rummage through the drawers, after a long absence. I found a brand-new fat handle No. 44, with the card wrapper and the head still in the cellophane wrapper, and a few other treasures. I'd still like one of those Hybrid Techs, though. My Twig razor is with RM, so another treat for these days of tedium and jabbing.

Apologies for thread drift. Time to throw another log in the stove.
Wow, what a find, I wish I had draws so deep that I come across a razor I had forgotten about with a little digging! :)

Paul.

Wow, what a find, I wish I had draws so deep that I come across a razor I had forgotten about with a little digging! :)

Paul.
Whenever I am pleasantly surprised to find something I haven't seen for a while, and am foolish enough to tell "Her Indoors", I am accused of a) having too much "junk" and/or b) being too untidy, and how surprising it is that I can find anything at all. "Pot and kettle" stuff, of course.

From experience I can tell you the worst thing about looking online for Ever Ready razors is having @Scotshave 's profile pic pop up everywhere whispering "Buy it.... buy it...." ;)
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

1940s British.

When looking (say, on eBay) if it says "Made in England" on the back and "Ever Ready British Made" on the inside of the baseplate then chances are it'll be the right one. While there are some pre-WW2 examples, British production was mostly post-WW2. Production did continue into the 1950s, but again ... most was 1940s.

That's the one ...

Why? The plating is really good and you're likely to pick up one (any one) which will clean up near perfectly and be a great example for you. Clean up? Yeah, toothbrush and liquid soap. That's it! I've cleaned up scores this way. Only on occasion I've had to bust out the Peek polish; same drill, toothbrush, scrub, then liquid soap onto the mess, scrub and hot water. Gleaming!

If you really get into these, yeah, the Streamline is reputed to be the most desirable but if you google "Sun Ray 1912" you'll see a real beauty! The Streamline is the Rolls Royce, but the Sun Ray is the E Type.

Alternatively, look for a gold tone American. Chances are the gold tone will have washed off already and little more than a good scrub with a toothbrush and Brasso will bring up an all brass example just lovely.

Happy hunting!
Are the USA ever ready razors any good pgjh?

Are the USA ever ready razors any good pgjh?
Yes.

My preference for the British 1912 is simply that they clean up near perfectly ever time with little more than a brief smush of Peek polish and a light scrub with liquid soap. Not that many American 1912s won't, but I've had more bother with American and found many with pitted plating.

That said, there are many American 1912s that came with a gold wash that is likely to be fully worn off, leaving a lovely brass finish. That's not something you can find in the British line.

Also be aware that American 1912s gained a different comb from 1930 when they were revamped as the "Gem Junior". The comb loses the very corners, appearing quite curved. It does make a difference, but I'm not sure whether that's for the better ... or not. Naturally, if you want a lovely curved cap then you'll need to look to the earlier American models.

That's the 1912. The 1914s and 1924s are all American. The Micromatics are all American. Later models, like the Featherweight/Natural Angle/Heavy Flat Top, the Pushbutton and the Contour are absolutely indisitnguishable between British and American made. All great razors!

Last edited:
Yes.

My preference for the British 1912 is simply that they clean up near perfectly ever time with little more than a brief smuch of Peek polish and a light scrub with liquid soap. Not than many American 1912s won't, but I've had more bother with American and found many with pitted plating.

That said, there are many American 1912s that came with a gold wash that is likely to be fully worn off, leaving a lovely brass finish. That's not something you can find in the British line.

Also be aware that American 1912s gained a different comb from 1930 when they were revamped as the "Gem Junior". The comb loses the very corners, appearing quite curved. It does make a difference, but I'm not sure whether that's for the better ... or not. Naturally, if you want a lovely curved cap then you'll need to look to the earlier American models.

That's the 1912. The 1914s and 1924s are all American. The Micromatics are all American. Later models, like the Featherweight/Natural Angle/Heavy Flat Top, the Pushbutton and the Contour are absolutely indisitnguishable between British and American made. All great razors!
I donated an American 1912 to the pass around box a while back; I hope folks are getting the use of it. My preference is for the British ones. It might be my imagination, but I feel they just have the edge (so to speak) in terms of efficiency; as well as finish. Plus, those handles…the chain link, Bathroom Sets and Peerless. Then there’s the Streamlines etc.

It’s reassuring that they can still be obtained relatively cheaply, if one’s careful. Every wet shaver at least needs to try one of these fellows.

Back
Top Bottom