Ever ready curious

I will just mention one thing. The early 1912s were designed for a blade which is no longer available so the older versions will be a little more agressive/efficient than it was designed for. A Bathroom set....circa 1950 and everything else following were designed for the current blades which are readily available
+1

... and while the OP is looking for 1912s, he should keep an eye out for GEM Micromatic razors as well.
They take the same blades and are true marvels of engineering. So clever and elegant.
Not as common as a 1912 and a little more expensive, but well worth having.
Look for the gold tone models - again, likely the gold wash will have worn off by now and you'll have a straight-up brass razor which will feel nice and polish up with Brasso if that's your thing. Plating on these is often very hit and miss with many grotty, pitted examples.

This is the MicroMatic (open comb) which you'll often see as MMOC:

ACtC-3fNrQqw0BE0McJ6bVDvCBzTt0n6cehZ9_YyrJTgk3StkK2XPvngaZPd2cLPtOlIdao_XpxzNJcpK8KDkBWQznPruKe9TrT1urn1g8XFJUpY9L4C0nwVV9BXlmgvDWhvmnxtXHCoGuYAbU3EFdIRNbjMfQ=w1200

ACtC-3dJoI4fv5jgmBnchmy2BBt7VSmQaWkd5lGaHoXpqsLcaLi3ZtW4eLfwi5cIvzgOWRNNS5tLnvfqR2dkoTY7zf5qvVuCBDVVY2vcOzNkQIkGFanAxrmQEamlvvfObXPnvJ65OwaY0wTThTdRSSqrEhp-qg=w1200

... another is called a 'Clog Pruf' presumably as previous models clogged?

ACtC-3dgDkUtMfymadkxMNAoNEH1X1MenjNmFpS1wWhogGBZVr0uQeSpcj7EqyKKUvrfFcw1hY-qeyUWTV4WUYPc28eVsbtkv33KY7ww56mV8dLk1qVPj_NI2w89bZEZm4Tu0Q-AZN56Fwq8C4s6KDtE2JoObQ=w1200

The 'Clog Pruf' came in two models with a different number of teeth on the comb.

Here's the less "toothy" version:

ACtC-3eHNGzvYCELfdBZDjTzmP25HtBg2760G-YblvhQmTSCN_I5y4bgeBlz-5BGvn6bLVALyNS_2mdRiub6gNBpe3SWDeVoFFVGvUEztTc7g69Lh3P--LqekJqGKXtZ1MZKwFxIGZkQaAr_QolR6DNYD5MGwQ=w1200

Notice the instruction?

I like my Treets, really cool and efficient. I avoided the baton handled ones at first, thought they looked funny, but now that I have these I'm a huge fan! The Treet and the GEM junior can be had with the "baton" or "parade" handle, which is very similar, or they can be had with a more normal black plastic handle, and of course the brass six sided one. There is plenty of variety in the 1912's if you like having similar razors that aren't all the same.

100_2627.JPG

I like to use Treet blades in my Treet razors, just because I can.

100_2628.JPG

The overall shape of the Treet bottom plate the same it just has big holes instead of little slots.

s-l1600 (4).jpg

I will just mention one thing. The early 1912s were designed for a blade which is no longer available so the older versions will be a little more agressive/efficient than it was designed for. A Bathroom set....circa 1950 and everything else following were designed for the current blades which are readily available
Slight difference in spine thickness which gives a very slight difference (microscopic) in the blade angle which no one could ever notice in a blind test. The blade angle varies much more than that during every stroke used during shaving. Keyboard warriors looking for insignificant minutia to post about to make themselves look like "experts" in their own mind. If variations in blade angle were a problem no one would be able to shave with a "slant" razor. Why did no one say anything about the "bumps" on the Micromatics, or the spineless DE Micromatic blades?

Slight difference in spine thickness which gives a very slight difference (microscopic) in the blade angle which no one could ever notice in a blind test. The blade angle varies much more than that during every stroke used during shaving. Keyboard warriors looking for insignificant minutia to post about to make themselves look like "experts" in their own mind. If variations in blade angle were a problem no one would be able to shave with a "slant" razor. Why did no one say anything about the "bumps" on the Micromatics, or the spineless DE Micromatic blades?
Well......Personally......I do notice a difference......but as with everything else in shaving.....YMMV!

Back
Top Bottom