Ever Ready 1912 Magnum

Hi all,

I've been intrigued by the replacement handles for DE razors being made by members of this forum. Although I love my 1912's, the handles are a little shorter than I prefer and I made some replacements from resin pen blanks. This, however, is stainless steel and adds a bit of weight as well as being a more suitable length for my hand.

What do you think of the prototype?

http://imageshack.us/a/img692/9392/img0002wym.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img338/6853/img0004oa.jpg

Gordon

I have to admit that the handle on my Ever Ready 1912 is a thing of great beauty but you're right about the shorter length. The short ER handle is however very grippy and more so than any other vintage razor I've tried. A little more weight/length would be grand and you've made a grand job there, sir. Very attractive as Mr H says but I have a serious flaw to point out. I thought that this was one razor at least where my HAD would have no opportunity to lure me with eye candy and send me lusting after more shiny shafts of sheer shimmering showiness. Now you've gone and buggered up that final forlorn hope and the last bastion of willpower is going......

H,

I think he'll be getting fed up with me! My first one is on its way, we've a second at discussion stage and a third hinted at for Mrs Gairdner. Never could resist handmade in Britain so hand made in Scotland has really got me. Plus he's a damn good bloke.

I think the workmanship is great - but......it doesn't work for me. I know they were mass produced but the original set-up is just so attractive and the prototype here just looks too modern for the head. Have you considered making an extension for the original handle?

As an alternative, how about some kind of extension? Personally I far prefer the minimalist style, so the new handle suits me, but perhaps some kind of handle that could simply extend the original handle would work? Perhaps even get a second original handle, cut it short and cut a screw into it.

Thanks for your opinion guys.

This was my very first attempt at working stainless steel as my lathe is only a little Chinese job. As Antdad points out, the knurling isn't great but I've only had that attachment for a little while and have hardly used it. The handles will be made to satisfy my own curiosity and are not in the same league as those Daz produces.

If nothing else, it keeps me out of mischief :dodgy:

Cheers,

Gordon

Back
Top Bottom