ES Claymore SE Razor

Hello again folks!

I'm toying with the idea of trying a SE razor and really like the look of The Executive Shaving Company's Claymore, though it comes with a heavy price tag.

I see that quite a few members are using this razor in their SOTD. The most current Claymore is V3 and although it's out of stock at the moment, I'll happily wait it out if I know it's the right thing to do.

Go on, help me with ammunition to convince SWMBO that it's a good idea!

Thanks again!

Gordy

Just for the record, I'll be putting a Mark 1 Claymore and a Mongoose on BST in January so keep an eye open.

If you just want to try an SE razor though, you could look at the Razorock Hawk. Even the stainless steel version is only $60, and at $30 dollars the aluminium version is a steal for what has become my favourite razor.

Razorock Hawk

As far as I know it will never be made again as they can't find a manufacturer.

The vintage Schick are good & a fraction of the price

Yeap, you're pretty much spot on! Just spoken with ES and they are struggling to find a manufacturer that can keep costs low enough to provide a reasonable price to the customer. I don't think they've ruled it out completely but at this stage they're promoting the OneBlade razors which just don't seem to appeal to me.

Back to the drawing board......[emoji2955]

To reiterate what Shaun has said, vintage Schicks are fantastic. The additional blade thickness vs. DE suits me well.
They are cheap to buy, and whilst the Schick blades are subjectively expensive, I easily get 12-15 shaves from a blade, where as with DE I'm ready to change at 3-4 shaves.

These days I'm using a Schick E1 and a Karve razor. The rest of my razors are already sold or for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm also a vintage Schick enthusiast, and they do turn up on that well-known auction site from UK sellers, usually at reasonable prices and in good condition.

For new SEs available from UK vendors, I'd second @globalm on the Hawk V2, which is a first-rate razor in the aluminium version. That razor takes the wider Artists Club-style SE blade, as does the ES Claymore (of which I have a V1).

The out-of-stock Claymore AC razor in stainless is listed at £155. If you are interested in a modern Schick-type injector razor (which uses the narrower injector-type blade) in stainless, then you could consider the SUPPLY SE, which is available from Connaught in the UK (I have the original Kickstarter model, which is my modern injector "go to"), and which is a bit less expensive.

I see that the ATT SE razors, or heads thereof, in aluminium and stainless, are also available from a couple of UK vendors (including ES), but I have no experience of them personally.

Have a look for a used Colonial General. You simply wouldn't need to even think about any other SE.
They don't seem to come up very often. I too like them very much; so much, in fact, that I have the trio in brass, stainless and aluminium. The brass is on the bathroom shelf at the moment.

I also have the General trio, and hardly ever reach for anything else. They are that good.

I also have the General trio, and hardly ever reach for anything else. They are that good.
I'm not sure where Colonial are at, nowadays. There's nothing for sale on their website, and I haven't had any more news from them on the planned DE, and other things they've mooted. I seem to recall that they're intending to shift manufacture of future razors from China (whence came the Generals) to the USA.
One way or the other, I think that Generals may have quit the field of battle forever, and the only way to get one may be to grab a Chelsea Pensioner model.

I'm not sure where Colonial are at, nowadays. There's nothing for sale on their website, and I haven't had any more news from them on the planned DE, and other things they've mooted. I seem to recall that they're intending to shift manufacture of future razors from China (whence came the Generals) to the USA.
One way or the other, I think that Generals may have quit the field of battle forever, and the only way to get one may be to grab a Chelsea Pensioner model.

A shame if that is the case. An absolute cracker of a razor.

I was interested enough in the General to contact Colonial, but the reply was that they were concentrating on a DE model and had no plans to produce any more SE razors. I believe the last lot of Generals they had hung around for a while; if they'd sold out faster, they would probably have had more made.

Back
Top Bottom