ER 1912 issues

I've made the switch to solely SE and SR mainly because I've been super happy with the results from my British 1912 ER; thing is after about a week of lovely shaves I noticed that something is awry.

I line up the blade (gems from connaughts) under the wee lugs with the razor tipped forward so it sits nicely in place, problem is after a single stroke one side of the blade gets pushed away from the lug/guard so the blade is left sitting flat but at an angle of about 15 degrees (wish I had a working camera to show it)

Mechanically the razor seems sound, no obvious bent pieces, guard and lugs are symmetrical...have I just picked up a duffer?

The weird thing is the shaves are great, so do I just ignore it?

Second shorter question, the American 1912...anyone able to get a decent shave from it? Worth persevering? Or will it always feel like a belt sander?

Cheers all

[attachment=4759]Hi if the two tabs on the lower right are still there and holding the edge in place there's usually no problem. Photo attached. Those and the top spring hold it in place. The ones you have to watch out for are the 1914. They have some strange side hold system that's alway shot and their bottom tabs rot off.
I 'd check the the '12 bottom tabs to make sure they stick out far enough to hold the blade. Good luck.

ae7f6629-0d49-fde2.jpg
Ok try the photo again!

ae7f6629-0dab-3b0d.jpg

They're more than bumps . They're actually small 'clips or U's '.

ae7f6629-1035-24df.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335102473.890634.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335102473.890634.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 4
It sounds as though your cap may be a touch off-kilter(or, the base may be bent, to the same effect). In the above photo, if your lugs are intact and the blade meets them, then it is clamping pressure from the cap that actually holds the blade. Try sliding a piece of paper between the top of the blade and the cap. If one side won't pass, and the other does, there's your answer.

brinechild said:
That's the one Rob, cheers. Anyone have ideas about fixing it, or should I just be looking for a better one?
Better ones are cheap (and now you know what to look for!):icon_razz:, but I'm averse to chucking any of these classics, unless they are really bad off.

If the base-plate is bent, cut a small section of wooden dowel to fit in the "trough"- that place between the arms where the blades sit- and clamp it in a vise. Use the handle to gently lever it in the direction of the gap. Remove, check blade fit, repeat as needed.
Same with the cap, except that you will clamp that leading edge that comes down to touch the blade.

These are brass, being a little out of tune is easily fixed. If your specimen is as nice as that posted by Johnus, its well worth five to ten minutes of tweaking.:)

Back
Top Bottom