Entries: March 2014

Great entries from last month!

Let's do it again ...

One picture of your favourite shave of this month. Your picture. From this month.

If you submit a picture and then at the 11th hour pip it with a perfect shave and a perfect picture, just go back through the thread and edit your entry.

Once again, entries made after midnight of the 31st of March will not be considered and edits made after the closure of the month will not be reckoned into the follow-on voting thread - whatever stands at midnight of the 31st will go into that thread.

Have fun, guys! Happy shaving!

... nobody?

Okay, I'll break the ice ...

IMG_5339.JPG

Thanks! It gives a lovely shave, kind of like an SE shave with the firmer blades but has two edges. The back edge initially appears to be on a very peculiar angle, but in use, stroke with the grain with the front edge and run back up with the back edge - the angle and curve gives a very gentle ATG shave if used as intended.

Blades? No, it takes "carpet" blades. The blades I got were marketed as grooming blades, presumably for dogs since the Durhams continue their popularity for that purpose, but by 'eck they're sharp. I am pretty sure they're the Personna Pathology blades - think Feather sharpness even with a good hand stropping, which dies off really quite quickly giving a sharp, smooth and more forgiving shave on the second run ... I hope. The blades can also be honed.

http://www.personna-uk.co.uk/ProductCatalog/Detail.aspx?prodid=559&brand=Personna&item=Pathology+Blade

See also: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-24949.html

Thought I'd get an old roll of black and white neg out of the fridge for this month's snap:

TSR_calendar_Mar.jpg

It's a British Red Tip Super Speed I bought on BST from missingskin last month. What a cracking shave it delivers - so far tried with NOS Wilkies and Personna Lab Blue. Super happy.

The photo was made on medium format roll film (120). The neg stock is Fuji Neopan Acros 100asa. Camera is a 1990s Mamiya RZ67ii. I developed the negs in my bathroom with R09 developer, scanned on Epson v750. Usually I clean up the dust in Photoshop but chose to leave it on here, I think it kind of adds something analogue to the image. I have a bunch of old cameras, and find there's parallels with shaving: vintage metal tools that were built to last, feel great in the hand, and still perform their duty perfectly some decades later.

jaycey said:
It's a good looking, efficient razor but it is quite unforgiving and will bite you soon as look at ya!

Cheers

Hardly surprising I suppose given its size, but I have never tried a Friodur. I bet they are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom