Emotional Attachment

Last night I had a look through my shaving cupboard, I have decided to get rid of a few things and have a general clearout. The idea to give some bits to family or friends to try out in the hope that they like me will take up shaving.

I have realised that I have a real emotional attachment to shaving equiptment. I have a Merkur Progress adjustable that came with my starter kit, I have maybe shaved a dozon times with it before being give a Tech and Service Razor from my grandfather. Still I cannot bear to give it away. I could see why this would be if it were the items given to me by family members, they really do have an emotional attachement, one has literally been hauled over continental europe and back.

Same with soaps and brushes. I have an Edwin Jagger Medium best badger that I don't use but cannot give away!

ANyone else have this same issue or just me?

Not with shaving equipment, but I have a 1976 Commodore calculator which belonged to my father and whilst I never use it I just cant part with it, which is odd, because Im really not a hoarder (except of DE blades, but Im going to use all them).
I think its because its something he used all the time both at work and at home and probably (for me) as much a part of him as anything was.
Other than that and my wedding band and a St Christopher, there really isnt anything that Im attached to.

I'm sure there are more, I'm not one of them, I do "collect" razors, but I can easily sell them all again. (as I just did with 90% of my DE collection)
Might be the case for just 2, both have been gifts, and both get used. (which are part of the 10% I haven't sold)

Software wise, even less so, I've just swapped all my superthins for something else, piffed a load of blades left right and centre.
I now own less than 150 blades, all blades counted (including those left over from a sample pack)

Soapwise, if postage to the UK was not so darn expensive, I'd pif 75% of my stash too.

Max

I deliberately try to restrict how much I buy because I do get a bit attached to my stuff! Vintage as a symbol of the old way of shaving (as I'm too young to remember double edge blades and my dad always used Sensor Excel); modern to try what's out there now (particularly if it's new to me).
I'm aiming for one (and only one) of each major type (type as I define them) so a TTO, a standard two piece, a standard 3 piece, a single edge blade razor, an adjustable (on its way), and eventually a slant bar.
But that give me one modern and vintage of each type (were there any vintage slant bars?), long handle, short handle, different finishes... oh I haven't got a system at all, have I?

Open comb. Hmm, my Ever Ready is open comb, so I'll count that as one.
Thanks for the tip about the vintage slants. Here I go, looking them up on ebay. I could never be monogamous with razors!

I have a similar issue, but it is less emotional, more 'that'll come in handy one day'. I hate the idea that I might get rid of something and then need it at some point in the future.

asainsbury13 said:
I have a similar issue, but it is less emotional, more 'that'll come in handy one day'. I hate the idea that I might get rid of something and then need it at some point in the future.
That'll be what's called a hoarder!! :lol:

asainsbury13 said:

Yeah parhaps it is that rather than just me being a sentimental fool.

asainsbury13 said:

Yeah parhaps it is that rather than just me being a sentimental fool.

Back
Top Bottom