Edwin Jagger Straight

Anyone know if these are any good
CTRWH.jpg

Yup they are a full hollow dovo just under a different name.

Important bit is it shave ready, if not send it off to neil miller who is on this site.

I'm not trying to be contentious or start any flame wars (which is why I would never post this at SRP!) but I have had a lot of these - and the basic entry-level Dovo's (which look like the same razor, so I am sure Huxley is right) in for honing lately, and I have been less than impressed with most of them. The grinding on most has been a bit off and more than a few have had slight warps in the spine - enough to ensure a fat bevel in the middle of one side of the blade and little or no bevel in the middle of the other side of the blade. Several could not be honed and were sent back to the seller.

I'm not saying that they are all bad like this (I have a Dovo prima klang myself and am very happy with it - it isn't a contender against a new Revisor, though), but these entry-level razors are heavily marked-up and usually cost a third of what you pay to the importer, so think about it - a brand new razor that has been sold to a reseller for around £19 (which includes the original makers profit margin - got to be around 100%) and then marked up to anywhere between say £45 - £75.

If you are going to buy one, try to see it for yourself and take a good steel straight edge with you to lay along the spine and check it.

Regards,
Neil

Oh - nearly forgot - none of the brand new ones that have come my way for honing were shave-ready by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for the plug, BTW, Huxley!

No worries neil, personally id rather buy an old vintage from ebay play your cards right and you'll have a far better razor trouble is knowing what to buy, keep an eye out for genco they usually go cheap and are very good shavers i got my nos genco "easy aces" for £60 she's totally mint and is up there with the best of my collection.

Btw i don't tell everyone that but there's very few on here so what the hell. :mrgreen:

Anyway id grab one of those from the bay and get neil to hone it up if it's yours, they are a peach to hone a naniwa 5k 8k and 12k work wonders, coti works pretty well and cromox gets that edge scary sharp.

As neil says revisor razors are good, here's a good one to get you started, plus supposedly they are shave ready even though they aren't advertised as such.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.revisor-solingen.de/html/5_8_0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.revisor-solingen.de/html/5_8_0.html</a><!-- m -->

huxley said:
No worries neil, personally id rather buy an old vintage from ebay play your cards right and you'll have a far better razor trouble is knowing what to buy, keep an eye out for genco they usually go cheap and are very good shavers i got my nos £easy aces" for £60 she's totally mint and is up there with the best of my collection.

Btw i don't tell everyone that but there's very few on here so what the hell. :mrgreen:

Anyway id grab one of those from the bay and get neil to hone it up if it's yours, they are a peach to hone a naniwa 5k 8k and 12k work wonders, coti works pretty well and cromox gets that edge scary sharp.

As neil says revisor razors are good, here's a good one to get you started, plus supposedly they are shave ready even though they aren't advertised as such.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.revisor-solingen.de/html/5_8_0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.revisor-solingen.de/html/5_8_0.html</a><!-- m -->

Oh yes, Revisor send them shave ready and they hand hone them. They also have a vintage section that is really nice :hungrig

What Neil had to say about these razors seemed to me to be the model of restraint, and if he isn't qualified to comment, who the hell is? Straight Razor Place ... :roll:

To be fair, I'm quite happy with my mid range Dovo, by the way, it doesn't suffer from the defects detailed above. Still, I'm in the "buy vintage and get it Millered" camp.

Shame that view would be deemed inflammatory elsewhere, to me that's an eye opening view from someone in the now that would save me hard earned money or at least make me fully aware.

Well that's the reason why i got banned, i pretty much said i liked my gold dollar warts and all and got pretty much set upon for saying it, seraphim on b&b not only said that he also posted pics at 400x when lapped off a 1um lapping film, the edge was stunning and put many other razors to shame.

And yet he got banned for that, sometimes i do miss the place but then i read the posts and come back to earth pretty quickly at least on b&b you can have an opinion you just have to be sensible about how you post.

Now see what you lot have done. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom