Early Morning Questions

Morning chaps
Day 3 of d.e shaving. Here's more questions for you.

I've been reading that some razors are considered more aggresive - what's mine then (Merkur 38c) ?
Does an aggresive razor remove more hair per pass than a mild razor?
I'm finding that on rounded contours like jaw line and chin that I'm getting a really smooth shave (and some weepers), but flat contours are less smooth. Would a less aggresive razor lessen this effect ?
What is a cheap less aggresive razor for beginners?

After shaving - even before d.e shaving- I get very dry skin. I always use a/s balm then moisturise. After a while my skin feels dry and tight again, so I use more moisturiser. This can be repeated. But later in the day my skin gets too oily. I have not found a product that really hydrates on first application without being greasy.
Any recommendations on moisturisers?

Thanks in advance

Mand

Good morning!

On the aggressiveness question: A more aggressive razor has the potential to remove more hairs per pass than a less aggressive, but it depends on technique and blade as well. But it also has the potential to do more harm! So there is a trade off.

I am not sure if your razor is aggressive or not.

The rounded features of your face will protrude into the blade gap of the razor, and this could explain the better shave quality in these areas. Since the quality on the flat surfaces are less than this, working on your angle is probably the answer.

The dryness you feel I have felt as well, but that "dryness" most probably is razor burn if it does not subside with a moisturizer. Here angle and pressure, as well as preparation before the shave will help.

Try to hold the razor so lightly that you think you will drop it. It is really hard to apply pressure with a razor you are holding with a light grip.

Hope it helps.

/Max

I have found an allum block used after shaving then after a few minutes splash face with cold water then apply balm works well for me. The balm used to feel greasy but not since using the alum block. Would be good for the little weepers, will sting a bit though, no pain no gain as it were.

I like Trumper's Skin food as a gentle hydrating agent both before & after shaving. If you want to try a glycerine product such as this then you can get a bottle of glycerine from a pharmacist cheaply. Try it & although it'll feel warm when you apply it it should give you an idea as to its soothing effect.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Definitely stretch the skin on those flat areas and you'll see improvement.

an allum block used after shaving then after a few minutes splash face with cold water then apply balm works well for me.

+1 on the alum and water. After using that I only usually need to put on a toner like say, Ogalalla bay rum, and I hardly need moisturiser at all now. Not on the lower face anyway. A lot swear by witch hazel as a toner, it deals with oilyness.

What is a cheap less aggresive razor for beginners?

You can get a vintage mild razor for about a tenner or so, why not treat yourself to a Gillette ball end tech? Very mild. Or for a really cheap mild shave you can buy a Gillette 7 o'clock razor off ebay for about 3 quid... plastic handle with metal head. Usually only sold in India.
I just find if I go that mild I never remove enough stubble and I'm tempted to press too hard.

Your razor is fine, it's only your third shave and you are still getting used to keeping the razor at the right angle amongst other things.

Stick with it, concentrate on angle, no pressure etc your skin and beard also need time to adjust.

moodymick said:
Regards the quality of shaving on flat surfaces, it helps if you stretch the skin, particularly if you're talking about fleshy areas such a cheeks and neck in comparison to boney areas such as chin and jaw.

I am not a skin stretcher as such but puffing the cheeks out works for me.

Back
Top Bottom