Drying soap??

I'm in the habit of leaving the lid off to let it dry back to its 'standard' degree of hydration more or less. However this has never been in response to any kind of growth. I tend to agree, soap is soap and unlikely to spoil in that way, at least not in any reasonable time frame I would have thought. (Not an expert and happy to be corrected). I suppose the scent could dissipate though.

Edit, my Extro Arancia Italiana has got softer as I've used it, and now loads the brush more readily (possibly too much so) and I seem to be getting through it faster than expected. Wonder if I have let it get too wet? Still smells lovely.

Last edited:
I have had two shaving soaps mold. Black spots that would have gagged a hound on a gut wagon!! :sick: One was a new artisan soap bought back in 2020 (from whom I shall never buy again as the SOB acknowledged it and made no effort to correct the matter with me :mad: ) and the other was a NOS Palmolive tallow barber puck.

Take no chances with mold as some are extremely nasty, hence the "fishy" tale Ian seems to recall so vividly. :unsure: ;)

I have had two shaving soaps mold. Black spots that would have gagged a hound on a gut wagon!! :sick: One was a new artisan soap bought back in 2020 (from whom I shall never buy again as the SOB acknowledged it and made no effort to correct the matter with me :mad: ) and the other was a NOS Palmolive tallow barber puck.

Take no chances with mold as some are extremely nasty, hence the "fishy" tale Ian seems to recall so vividly. :unsure: ;)
Was it the Outer Mongolian Swamp Mould perchance ? :eek:

I read everywhere that people dry their soap after use, and was wondering why?

personally i never do this, just close the lid rinse the outside, store it for another day, never had any issue. I read that poeple dry their soap to prevent growth of bacteria and mold but dont really understand this? we wash our hands with soap to disinfect and this works fine given the properties of soap so whats the point in protecting something which is naturally antimicrobial from growth, or am i missing a blind spot in my routine?

anyone have any insights on this, or has ever seen growth on their soaps rather then on their face?
I agree to pay more attention to a € 40 cream than a € 3 one but if anyone has these problems they would do well to buy cream in a tube. the only things that should be paid attention imho are not leaving a wet brush locked in the closet and reusing a razor blade too many times.

Reactions: ATG
I agree to pay more attention to a € 40 cream than a € 3 one but if anyone has these problems they would do well to buy cream in a tube. the only things that should be paid attention imho are not leaving a wet brush locked in the closet and reusing a razor blade too many times.
i would add to that to pay more attention to Artisan soaps then "industrial" soaps. Industrial soaps are typically well standardized, tested and registered including their typical additives and preservatives. Artisans are less standardized and sometimes use more organic and exotic ingredients. By no means i want to state that artisans make faulty soaps by no means at all, but especially soaps that lack preservatives and include lot of organic ingredients that basically ups the game in terms of paying more attention to antimicrobial properties. Small mistakes in formulation due to artisanal mixing could lead to product which in fact could benefit in hindsight of drying well.

Quite an interesting topic. Personally I do leave them to dry out for good few hours , unless they’re really damp then I’ll leave them upside down…. Also will rinse if there’s too much lather on top of the soap (tends to happen to me whilst loading softer bases). I did hear some horror stories about soaps being stored with too much moisture and going bad after long time - so I guess that would depend on how often you use that soap …

below a picture of MdC recommendations - quite interesting that they do recommend that

0745670F-2B0D-4C04-8E29-BE75B003C5B5.jpeg

I read everywhere that people dry their soap after use, and was wondering why?

personally i never do this, just close the lid rinse the outside, store it for another day, never had any issue. I read that poeple dry their soap to prevent growth of bacteria and mold but dont really understand this? we wash our hands with soap to disinfect and this works fine given the properties of soap so whats the point in protecting something which is naturally antimicrobial from growth, or am i missing a blind spot in my routine?

anyone have any insights on this, or has ever seen growth on their soaps rather then on their face?
I haven't read the thread yet, but my Cella Tallow turns mouldy within six months. Obviously you can't dry it out. I have also had Savon de Marseille with added herbs and they have also gone mouldy. Additives to soaps can still produce issues even if alkaline soap has certain properties.

Back
Top Bottom