Drying soap

I have been using the cade soap full time the past 10 days, about 5 shaves, and have found that on occasions it dries quite quickly on my face. The lather always appears very thick and slick and very stable. Is this a sign that there is too much water or not enough. Or could it be due to room conditions, Although the house is centrally heated and quite stable in temperature.
What are your thoughts.

Is this a soap you've used before, or is it new to the routine?

I've gone ahead and lathered up with too little water in my T+H hard soap which is the closest I've got to the Cade. It didn't dry out during the shave as such, felt a little too stiff after a while maybe... bit like a well whipped cream. Another few drops of water soon loosened it. At a guess I'd say there's too little water there, but the guys who use the cade will know better than me.

Been using it for the past 4/5 shaves. Sometimes stays nice an moist and super slick and a couple of times has dried on the face quite quick. The lather was made in the same way each time, soaked brush but the gently squeezed and shacken out to make it quite dry for loading. Water then added to reach the same thick slippery consitancy. Very strange.

heroblob said:
Been using it for the past 4/5 shaves. Sometimes stays nice an moist and super slick and a couple of times has dried on the face quite quick. The lather was made in the same way each time, soaked brush but the gently squeezed and shacken out to make it quite dry for loading. Water then added to reach the same thick slippery consitancy. Very strange.

My question to you would be what was your prep, before you lathered on?

Was your face well wet and beard softened?

I know if i try to short cut this and just splash some water on, my lather will start to dry on my face as it seems to draw the moisture out of the lather. All this could be cobblers, but those are my symptoms if i don't prep properly :?

Mick, I shower and then soak my face with hot water. I then apply some proraso preshave while i mix my lather. By this time my face has indeed dried out and i splash it with water again before applying the soap. After each pass i then wet my hands and rub the remaining soap into my face so that my face is both wet and slick. I thought i read a while back that an over hydrated lather would dry out fast on your face. I don't believe the lather to be too wet as i found today when i rinsed the brush during clean up that there was still some un-hydrated soap in the tips of the brush which i had to wash out. I wonder if i am starting with a too dry brush in the first place. Although the brush has had a 10min soak i shake most of the water out of it so that i load the brush without making too much mess in the soap bowl. May leave a little more water in the brush next time and see how that goes.
Any more ideas would be kindly accepted. :D

yeah, i soak my brush then squeeze before loading. But i have found that after the brush is loaded (while face is still wet) I just lightly dip the tips in the water for a little extra hydro, means the lather looks a little over-wet as you initially slap it on but suddenly it thickens up as the soap is released from the inside of the brush - then I shave fast!!!!! :shock: ;)

Will Give that a go. I do tend to partialy face lather,ie after making what looks like a nice thick lather i wet my face and then work the brush for a while on my face. Will try dipping the tips of the brush in a touch of water and see what happens.
I have to admit as a side line the first run out today with the Feather in the Tech was a little revalation. I hadn't got on with the Tech when i tried it a couple of months back, possibly applying a little too much pressure. But with the feather in it and no pressure at all I ended up with a fantastic shave. I have loaded it in the 500hd For a comparrison in that. I had been a little in fear of these blades and had baulked using one. Perhaps that is the reason it went so well. I had a lot of respect for it and took my time.
Most of the enjoyment is in the learning. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom