DR Harris - bad lather!

RB73 said:
fozz77 said:
How good is the MdC John? & how would you describe the scent of Volabra?

A very clean, fresh soapy smell. Very easy to live with and outstanding lather. :shave

I don't get that smell at all. For me there's something in it -- similar to rosemary -- that I find slightly off-putting. Certainly no hint of mint. However, as RB73 says, the lather is outstanding: so easy and quick to knock up it's like using a cream. Slick as a BP oil spill, too. For that reason alone, Fozz, it's worth joining a group buy for a smidge of MdC.

Naked Ape said:
RB73 said:
fozz77 said:

A very clean, fresh soapy smell. Very easy to live with and outstanding lather. :shave

I don't get that smell at all. For me there's something in it -- similar to rosemary -- that I find slightly off-putting. Certainly no hint of mint. However, as RB73 says, the lather is outstanding: so easy and quick to knock up it's like using a cream. Slick as a BP oil spill, too. For that reason alone, Fozz, it's worth joining a group buy for a smidge of MdC.

Was describing the Valobra fella. :)

Naked Ape said:
:oops: Beg your pardon RB.

I'll get my coat, go for a long walk, and try to sober up.

Sober, on a Saturday, that's heresy my good man. :lol:

The MdC is a very good soap, the lather is probably the best i've had. The only problem i found was that the scent morphed into a rather unpleasant smell after around 3 weeks of nearly daily use.

The scent to start with was not what i would describe as outright lavender and mint, in fact id describe it as a stale mixed spice. :?

But that aside, it is one soap that once finished is making me want to get some more. :hungrig

I didn't mean this thread to turn into a MdC love-in, but hey.....! :D

I always want shaving to be a pleasure from beginning to end, and I don't want to have to fight my soap or wait for the right alignment of stars or phase of the moon in order to get a useable lather.

I have tried many, many soaps and creams and, only a handful of products have really stood out. MdC and Valobra stick being two of them.

Likewise, only a handful have given me problems - Erasmic (tallow- magical disappearing lather), MWF (seemingly random lather depending on moon's tidal phase), and Harris (lovely smell but lather simply just not as slick as I like).

Trumpers have great scents and all, but to me they perform no better than many other cheaper alternatives (Boots).

I have read that it's best to leave the lid off MdC to let it breath and I think this helps the scent mellow somewhat. Not that it's unpleasant by any means (certainly much nicer than Tabac)! There is definitely Lavender but also something else spicy.

The Valobra stick simply smells of "soap".

I wouldn't say Valobra or MdC are my favourite scents (MB's Rosemary Mint and CF Lime takes some beating) but they win on pure performance.

My next soap to try will be something from Art of Shaving. The performance of Valobra stick with nicer scents? Bring it on! :mrgreen:

John

Naked Ape said:
RB73 said:
fozz77 said:

I would gladly join the group buy..not sure how it will work with me being across T'pond. :lol:

I thought i had better re visit this thread. I have been using my DRH Arlington everyday for 8 weeks. I take back what I said before - agreeing to it been mediocre at best. What makes it work for me is putting a "dribble" of hot water on it prior to showering. I have equal success with badger and boar brushes. The least with a Rooney finest - too dense I reckon.

It is not no ARKO or Tabac for rich, dense lather, it is a more than good enough lather though, plus, the soap lasts alooooooooong time.

fozz77 said:
I thought i had better re visit this thread. I have been using my DRH Arlington everyday for 8 weeks. I take back what I said before - agreeing to it been mediocre at best. What makes it work for me is putting a "dribble" of hot water on it prior to showering. I have equal success with badger and boar brushes. The least with a Rooney finest - too dense I reckon.

It is not no ARKO or Tabac for rich, dense lather, it is a more than good enough lather though, plus, the soap lasts alooooooooong time.

How do stranger :)

Will also add my further thoughts on the Harris Almond after re-purchasing it again in the bowl. My first go with this soap was with the shave stick grated into a bowl and i couldn't get a decent lather at all. (Not that this should have made a blind bit of difference compared to the soap in puck form :? )

With the puck in the bowl i have managed decent lather from the first go and their after, what bought me back to this soap was the scent which i find to be one of the few that keeps me wanting to go back and have another sniff :roll: .

This soap is now a keeper in my "long time getting there reduction" to three soaps in my rotation.

Back
Top Bottom