Dovo razor

So came across an interesting kit that I'm slightly tempted to get - because somewhere down the line I'll definitely want to try out straight razors.

Anyone know the rough value of this? Apparently it's all unused. Not sure whether I do believe receipt that's shown on picture since it doesn't mention exact items.
received_127942805853967.jpegScreenshot_20210205-093217.jpg

I think I'm getting there slowly - by the power of uncle google, I've found out that it's Dovo Straight Razor Black Star - Green, made out of Carbon steel, 5/8” full hollow ground and handle is Pakkawood. Honestly quite tempted to get it. Would appreciate opinions on it!

Thanks Paul! I can potentially get it for around £70 delivered so I think that's quite tempting! Even if I ended up selling it and strop somewhere down the line, I should be able to make the money back to burn on another DE razor :LOL:

I think I'm getting there slowly - by the power of uncle google, I've found out that it's Dovo Straight Razor Black Star - Green, made out of Carbon steel, 5/8” full hollow ground and handle is Pakkawood. Honestly quite tempted to get it. Would appreciate opinions on it!

Thanks Paul! I can potentially get it for around £70 delivered so I think that's quite tempting! Even if I ended up selling it and strop somewhere down the line, I should be able to make the money back to burn on another DE razor :LOL:
Don't forget though even though it may be new, it will probably need honing before you will get an Shave out of it. Most of them say shave ready but most of them need work.

Paul.

Definitely noted! I think it'll be a while before I do end up using it, but I guess I'm going down a bit of rabbit hole there - quite a good deal there that I couldn't miss!
Once I get to that stage of wanting to actually use it, probably will see whether we have any members that do the honing, since I'm guessing the strop that comes with it won't be enough!

although eventually that might push me down yet another rabbit hole - always wanted a set of decent japanese kitchen knives and learn how to hone them on stones..... :ROFLMAO:

Have you seen any other photographs? It looks in very good condition so most likely the other side is good too.

Where you stop with knife sharpening (1k or maybe a little more) is around where you start with a razor. I can get an old Stanley plane easily sharp enough for my amateur woodworking with 1k wet & dry paper but a 1k stone is just setting the bevel on a razor. There will often be another three stones after that up to around 12k. And perhaps some pastes before final stropping.

In theory, you might never need to hone your razor again after it's been made shave-ready. Lots of people say they can maintain an edge almost indefinitely with diamond-pasted strops, along with a leather strop. Diamond is the modern version of traditional CrOx and FeOx pastes.

Lapping film is a cheap way to get into honing. A set of 30-12-9-6-3-1u will take you from bevel setting up to the equivalent of a 12k stone (maybe slightly finer?).

Be careful with budget stones. There may be a few exceptions but Naniwa Super Stones are probably the cheapest worth buying. You can't sharpen a razor without good quality equipment.

I can't sharpen a razor even with good quality equipment... I am enjoying it though. Practice hopefully makes perfect.

Have you seen any other photographs? It looks in very good condition so most likely the other side is good too.

Where you stop with knife sharpening (1k or maybe a little more) is around where you start with a razor. I can get an old Stanley plane easily sharp enough for my amateur woodworking with 1k wet & dry paper but a 1k stone is just setting the bevel on a razor. There will often be another three stones after that up to around 12k. And perhaps some pastes before final stropping.

In theory, you might never need to hone your razor again after it's been made shave-ready. Lots of people say they can maintain an edge almost indefinitely with diamond-pasted strops, along with a leather strop. Diamond is the modern version of traditional CrOx and FeOx pastes.

Lapping film is a cheap way to get into honing. A set of 30-12-9-6-3-1u will take you from bevel setting up to the equivalent of a 12k stone (maybe slightly finer?).

Be careful with budget stones. There may be a few exceptions but Naniwa Super Stones are probably the cheapest worth buying. You can't sharpen a razor without good quality equipment.

I can't sharpen a razor even with good quality equipment... I am enjoying it though. Practice hopefully makes perfect.

No I haven't - description states brand new, and when paying via PayPal I've mentioned that in comments too so should be covered in case of any issues !
Will post some more pictures once it arrives - hopefully tomorrow

That's quite interesting - I love how pretty much every day I learn something new here - it's impressive how fine those sharpening stones get then. I wasn't really researching about it often but never heard of them going as far as 12k grit!

Definitely, practice makes perfect and enjoyment of the process is the most important! Thank you for the information!

I Would Leave that Razor..Its a Bit of a Rough Diamond..Buy a New One..Here.. (y)

Or a Ti..Thiers issard..I Will Hone it for You at a Decent Price...This Mob Says they are Shave Ready,,They are Not. But their Prices are Very Fair...This is a Great Priced Quality Strop.Trust Me,,Forger All that Shite Honing Your Own Razor Stuff,,.:cool:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIRST-ENGLISH-LEATHER-CANVAS-RAZOR-STROP-FINEST-QUALITY/232725015385

Billy

Last edited:
I Would Leave that Razor..Its a Bit of a Rough Diamond..Buy a New One..Here.. (y)

Or a Ti..Thiers issard..I Will Hone it for You at a Decent Price...This Mob Says they are Shave Ready,,They are Not. But their Prices are Very Fair...This is a Great Priced Quality Strop.Trust Me,,Forger All that Shite Honing Your Own Razor Stuff,,.:cool:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIRST-ENGLISH-LEATHER-CANVAS-RAZOR-STROP-FINEST-QUALITY/232725015385

Billy
Already a bit on late side - it's on a way to me as we speak ! Do you think £65 for it (together with the strop in picture and the shaving cream) wasn't a good deal? Even if it does need to be send out for honing (not sure on the price of this service since this will be first razor of such type for me )

Already a bit on late side - it's on a way to me as we speak ! Do you think £65 for it (together with the strop in picture and the shaving cream) wasn't a good deal? Even if it does need to be send out for honing (not sure on the price of this service since this will be first razor of such type for me )
Billy will sort it give him a PM. It will be guaranteed shave ready.

Price is OK at That..I Will Hone it For 14 Pounds Plus Return Costs..I Will Put a Superb Edge on It...Message Me if You Want on the Personal Message Link (y)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom