Don't fear the feather

After about a month using strictly derby blades, I couldn't resist it anymore. I had to try the feathers that were in a blade sampler pack.
I've always thought these weren't for newbies but there's only one way to find out if they are good for you. So this morning I put a feather in my Slim, dialed it to 1 to be on the safe side and started going..... very careful.
Wow! These are great, I ended up setting my Slim at 4 and had my first BBS :cool: What a difference with the Derby's!
The only bad thing is these aren't the cheapest blades around, are there any alternatives that come close to feathers that aren't as expensive?

I don't think there are others that are as sharp, although I find 7 o'clock sharp edge (yellows) and 7 o'clock super platinum (black) are the closest. Rapira I also find very close and fairly smooth with it. Sputnik also worth a try if you can find any

I now use feathers in all my razors, a slim more or less fully open, EJ87, and the big Merkur slant.
Great blades, buy in bulk to get the price down.
Just be ever so gentle and the feather will reward you.

Infact I have just ordered a packet of Bolzano Superinox, these are sharper I think.

What Vinny (not Joe) says. The 7 o'clock yellows aren't the greatest ever made, but they are on the sharp side, very consistent and still in production. They also last a bit longer than Feathers in my experience and don't deteriorate so suddenly.

I find Gillette SuperThins to be almost as sharp as Feathers too - and they can be had for a bit cheaper.

It's funny, I find 7 O'Clock yellows nice and sharp for a day or 2, but they go blunt and draggy a lot quicker than Feathers in my experience.

MandoBear said:
I find Gillette SuperThins to be almost as sharp as Feathers too - and they can be had for a bit cheaper.

It's funny, I find 7 O'Clock yellows nice and sharp for a day or 2, but they go blunt and draggy a lot quicker than Feathers in my experience.

Very odd as I find the feather to be the only blade that is superb for 1 shave then horrible. As usual we are all different.

Back
Top Bottom