Domestic Barbers Vs Etnic Ones

My barber quest continues with a visit to the Clifton Barbershop, Clifton N.J. USA. So far, as I test various ethnic barbers it always seems to me that they spend more time with me than domestic ones. What is even worse is when I am desperate and go to a unisex salon and I sit in the chair of a young, newly minted cosmetology student. Both always seem to have that snip -snip out the door feeling. My experience is that I receive more scissor work, more hand work with the middle eastern shops than electric razor or buzzer work the domestic shops seem to rely on more and more. Here was my personal experience, some of which was a little weird or disturbing, but all positive. I would recommend the shop and the barber I had.

Shave and a haircut, 20 bucks, not bad. Haircut was mostly scissor or hand work as stated above. When I saw the Nancet blades I thought I was in for something special in the way of cream and aftershave, dare I even say Gada since he was of Jordan decent. WRONG! Nothing more than hand cream, with my own eyes I saw it, hand cream from a squeeze bottle massaged into my face either to massage the skin or create a lather. I saw three shaves when I was there and every barber used their own bottle of the same stuff. The shave was excellent, no pulls on the skin, no nicks, all good. No after shave care however.

Facial, never in all my John Wayne watching days would I ‘ave thunk I’d have a facial but I did. And I liked it too, there, I said it. About 20 minutes of steam blowing in my face followed by hand work to remove the black heads with a comedone extractor which at times hurt or pinched. Then a scrub, wash up, and peel off mask. Finally the dreaded threading of the face to remove all fuzz and hairs left over. Threading is done in middle eastern shops with a piece of thread between fingers to pull out these strays much like a biblical Epilady of yester year.

Total bill, Facial, shave, haircut…55.00 and I left looking like a new man.

I do not think any domestic shops even offer a facial, many do not even offer a shave these days as the “barber” is nothing more than a man who graduated cosmetology school and is giving haircuts. Otherwise if he was a she, then they would be a “stylist”. I wish I could get these services from a domestic shop as I would like to interact more but they just are not to be had it seems. True barbers are gone it appears to me.

Have used the same barbers since I was 13/14 years of age, Ron and Trevor are their names and you won’t find a more down to earth straight talking pair of gents this side of the water. (That’s the Thames).

They have never had to shut shop due to illness or such although Wednesday’s are early closing. Fridays are early open and late close to cater for the suits going into and home from the city. Their clientèle have been using them as long and in many cases longer than me, in fact every time I go it’s like meeting up with old friends.

They don’t cut kids hair on Fridays or Wednesday mornings, but if I like many other regulars have a youngster in tow when in for a cut they will give them a quick tidy up after finishing, and that’s free of charge (Although reflected in the tip that’s given).

If you need advice or quotes on plumbing, building work, car repairs, painting and decorating etc, the barbers is the first point of call, leave a message with Ron or Trevor and within a couple of days one of the old crowd will be round to offer there service, helps that another regular is a barrister.

One of many observations whilst waiting for a cut (Number 2 back and sides make it tidy on top £4);

Walked into a packed barbers conversation in fall flow, sits down and am straight away made aware (nods of the head by others waiting) of a young chav being rather loud talking into his mobile phone and using rather colourful language, in a dialect that was a cross between white middle class and Jamaican.

His turn comes to sit in the chair, Ron asks what young sir would like and listens inventively to the request made, it involved trimmers being used in different grades and tram line patterns around the sides and back. Ron nods with a quizzical look and bids the young sir to give him a minute, with that he makes his way to the back of the shop, picks up the phone and after a short conversation returns to the chair whilst on that short walk back he is acknowledging the bewildered look of all us waiting customers and nodding in the direction of the big shop front window (Out of sight of young sir).

In unison we all look out of the window and across the street to where the Ladies hair stylists are located. A very attractive young lady emerges from said shop, crosses the road and enters the barbers with a bag containing the tools of her trade, “where is he” is quickly acknowledge with a smile a nod of the head.

What proceeded was a master class in hair design; this took the best part of forty five minutes to an hour in which the young gent looked like no hole would be deep enough. All those that had their cuts whilst this was going on sat back down afterwards, myself included to watch and have a coffee.

On completion the end result was applauded loudly by all those gathered, which then turned into much chortling when the £30 charge was asked for and then into howls of laughter when Ron steps up and asks what perfume young sir would like.

RB73 said:
JohnnyO said:
True barbers can be easily identified as they will invariably ask you, "Something for the weekend sir ?" as you leave, pressing 6p into their hand.

JohnnyO. ;)

:shock: 6p :shock: you buy them singularly :)

Second hand from the sound of it. Do you leave a deposit?

Yesterday I had a fab haircut from a guy I assumed was Pakistani. (I don't mean to sound racist but on the whole I find Indians far nicer than Pakistanis.) Anyway, I got talking to him and it turns out he's an Iranian Kurd. He'd never met another white Englishman who knew about the PKK, Chemical Ali and so on. And I'd never met a real Kurd. We chatted for about 40 mins and it was a very interesting and informative talk.

I struggle with my racism (also sexism, ageism etc; I'm only human) and this was a highlight of my - and maybe his - day.

Just thought I'd share that positive experience.

I feel I should clear up a slight misunderstanding here, the 6 pence is my idea of a tip, is all. I kinda reckon that any barber old enough to make the classic request is probably old enough to be under the illusion that 6p is still an acceptable thankyou.

JohnnyO. :D

JohnnyO said:
I feel I should clear up a slight misunderstanding here, the 6 pence is my idea of a tip, is all. I kinda reckon that any barber old enough to make the classic request is probably old enough to be under the illusion that 6p is still an acceptable thankyou.

JohnnyO. :D

Johnny there's a difference between 6p and sixpence.
;)

Back
Top Bottom