do you 'shim' your blades in your razor?

D

Deleted member 12673

hey peeps so someone on another forum mentioned he used two blades to 'shim' posted a geofatboy vid about it (below)

its not something that wouldve ever crossed my mind if i didnt see his post and that vid, so i'm wondering how many of you do this?

It has helped me to...
  1. Make the Yaqi Slant blade more rigid (hence a more comfortable shave) as I find during the shave (with just 1 blade), there's much blade chatter...especially on the atg pass
  2. Invigorate a mild razor to be more efficient - used on my Gillette Red Tip and Super Adjustable
Of course, that's all just my experience and YMMV.

It has helped me to...
  1. Make the Yaqi Slant blade more rigid (hence a more comfortable shave) as I find during the shave (with just 1 blade), there's much blade chatter...especially on the atg pass
  2. Invigorate a mild razor to be more efficient - used on my Gillette Red Tip and Super Adjustable
Of course, that's all just my experience and YMMV.
i'd Rather purchase a razor that is more efficient.
don't get me wrong i understand why people do it but for me a good adjustable will sort that problem out.

Hi, no worries, good sharing is all. I do have more efficient razors but for the sake of using older mild razors, that's just an option to utilize.
Definitely mate i'm not criticising it at all
i just personally wouldn't do it
for me if the razor dosent do what it says on the tin then i'm not using it. but then again i'm just a moany, grumpy old you know what lol

@chard52142 you seem to be into shimming, if that's the right thing to say? Lol

Anyways mate whats the best way to shim a blade on a SE razor? I want to shim my broman SE razor as it's nice and comfy but way too mild, have to do a fair few passes even with a sharp blade like a Perma sharp

I just feel this razor has a lot of potential but won't get used a lot unless I can make it that more efficient especially ATG

@chard52142 you seem to be into shimming, if that's the right thing to say? Lol

Anyways mate whats the best way to shim a blade on a SE razor? I want to shim my broman SE razor as it's nice and comfy but way too mild, have to do a fair few passes even with a sharp blade like a Perma sharp

I just feel this razor has a lot of potential but won't get used a lot unless I can make it that more efficient especially ATG
Hey thanks for asking. I like to put a shim blade for vintaga DE razors...but for SE...I really have no idea mate...
I do have GEM SE razors but haven't try shimming them as yet...

anyone else stack as oppose to shim? as in just use two blade whole without trimming anything off them

noticed the youtuber subie shaves been doing this with success and says its makes the blades feel more rigid and less blade chatter too

im going to try this on my next head shave :)

Some of the older Ever Ready razors were designed for the wedge-shaped stropping blades. Some shavers have shimmed GEM blades with the spine of another on top of the blade (The Fergiebilly shim); others (including myself) have tried loom bands around the spine of a blade before popping it my 1924. To be honest, I can’t identify any difference in the quality of the shave. As to shimming modern razors…what’s the point?

Back
Top Bottom