Do shaving soaps “go bad”

My guess is shaving soaps eventually lose some of their fragrance when stored for long periods. Does their performance deteriorate?

If so, over what kind of time frame?

My guess is shaving soaps eventually lose some of their fragrance when stored for long periods. Does their performance deteriorate?

If so, over what kind of time frame?
I’m using Old Spice from the 60’s - 70’s which still smells the way it should but i guess the answer is in how it’s stored.
There’s been many a debate on here whether you should dry your soap after use.
Some guys do & some guys don’t it’s that black or white
but for me i do as there is evidence out there of certain soaps going a bit mouldy.

So i guess in answer to your question some will lose fragrance more than others but which brands i don’t know.
iv actually dated mine just so i know how old they are

I used to get problems with Palmolive shaving sticks, when I kept them in the metal containers in my shaving kit for too long. That was mostly drying out, cracking and smelling a bit musty.

A lot of modern soaps now carry a "months life" number or some sort of "use by", but I don't think that I've ever finished one within the time. In fact, I've just finished one which is about 7 years old, and used intermittently, and it's as good as the day I first opened it. I rarely use tubed creams, but recently finished one after about 10 years, but they aren't open to the air and must therefore store well.

On some soaps, I think those with tallow in them, a surface bloom develops when they haven't been used for a while, but this disappears in the lathering and everything is as normal.

I managed to buy a number of the L'Occitane pucks, that came with the aluminium bowl, before they ceased production, and they've been around for a good few years without problems.

In short, as a "snail's pace" user, all my soaps and croaps have held up well over time, in both scent and lather performance.

i would say, but indeed matter of own opinion mixed with a bit of logic.

if you dry your soaps and can smell the fragrance (e.g. in your bathroom) you are loosing the fragrance over time. if you dont dry and keep the package closed the headspace is limited and thus you keep the fragrance longer.

Large manufacturers have registration needs and quality needs with regards to product longevity, which is one of the reasons they use preservatives etc. typically those formulations are so heavily "regulated" that they do not or should not mold over time.

artisanal soap makers are not controlled in such way and that gives them the benefit of making much less preserved systems with nice natural ingredients. however this does introduce more risk for product going moldy.

i have soaps several years old and still work perfectly and dont loose scent, but i never dry my soaps. at the same time i have not used a very high organic artisanal soap yet, but would likely try to use it faster then the big branded soaps.

Modern soaps is anyone's guess as they've still got the years and decades to go that vintage has already survived. I'll say this - I have Wickham 1912 soaps now going back years and the scent is still strong. My Club Cola, which was a pre-market tester, still give a strong scent. Some soaps have developed a kinda consistency problem, likely the fats just changing consistency but performance was unaffected. I did get some soaps that went kinda icky ... ones with vanilla in IIRC. So, yes the can go off.

Vintage, though ...

I have Old Spice from the '60s. I have Boots Albany from the '60s; Coty Avocado, possibly '50s. Rolls Razor '60s, possibly '50s. Imperial Leather '60s or '70s. Still all great scents and super performers and we're talking 50, 60 and 70 years old soaps there! So, no ... they don't (all) go off.

It shrank by 90%...

F6LGfy5.gif

I am a touch late to this one but…. I use a good bit of vintage Williams and Colgate soaps. Even as far back as Colgate Barbershop cakes. They have no real scent but I have never gotten one that was bad. They can look rough but they still lather great.

I am a touch late to this one but…. I use a good bit of vintage Williams and Colgate soaps. Even as far back as Colgate Barbershop cakes. They have no real scent but I have never gotten one that was bad. They can look rough but they still lather great.

I had an old Palmolive Barber puck turn bad after a few shaves. The dreaded black mold dots. I still have one NOS one left.

Back
Top Bottom