Do preshave oils really clog your brush?

One of the things Executive Shaving mentioned regarding their pre shave oils really caught my eye.
Theirs are water soluble, the thought being that they won't clog your shaving brush when you go to apply soap ontop.

Is this typically an issue for people with other oils? Is it more a badger brush problem than synthetic?

Start with a clean face when you shave, anything on you will get on and in your brush and can clog your razor as well. You may not notice at first but it will accumulate.

Pre-shave oil should be used sparingly and won't clog your brush if used sensibly. This is something of a myth that was started on some US forums a few years ago and, in my experience, is simply not true (unless you choose to soak your brush in oil, of course).

It's best to apply pre-shave oil to a dry face, otherwise it just sits on top of a layer of water and doesn't really do much.

The Executive Shaving pre-shave oil doesn't contain any oil; it's main ingredient is Glycerin. That is why they describe it as being water soluble. It's a good product that works well, and is very similar to Trumpers Skin Food in that respect.

If your pre shave oil is making a mess of your brush you are probably using too much, as @ajc347 has already said it only needs to be used sparingly, just a drop or two on your fingertips worked into your skin before you shave.
I was advised by The British Barbers Assocation to use their pre shave oil before you go to bed ( providing you shave in the morning) and by the time you shaved many hours later your skin would be in the perfect condition for shaving, however @Rufus made a valid point....you don't really need it, you just need to fully hydrate your skin and stubble with water, I always wash my face with soap and water before shaving and find this to be enough but it's up to you, if you feel you must use it just use a tiny amount of oil or use the water soluble stuff. :) P.

Just don't use it; there is no need. All you need to do is soften your stubble with liberal lashings of water and apply a liberal amount of lather with a good brush.

Until a few months ago, I used pre shave oil (Trumpers skin food) all the time, since 2009. However, if I'm going to shave when I've not just had a bath (at night), I may still use it, especially after shaving before bed. Since not using it, I've haven't noticed any difference.

It never seemed to effect my brush, which is your question.

Until a few months ago, I used pre shave oil (Trumpers skin food) all the time, since 2009. However, if I'm going to shave when I've not just had a bath (at night), I may still use it, especially after shaving before bed. Since not using it, I've haven't noticed any difference.

It never seemed to effect my brush, which is your question.

Trumpers Skin Food doesn't contain any oil - it's a glycerin based formula that is water soluble, hence it won't have any effect on a brush.

I don't find that it works particularly well as a pre-shave product either.

Another (that's) water based and for me one of the best preshave products on the market is
Fitjar Islands Pre Shave Soap bar which is made with Black Clay and is ever so slightly exfoliating.
only down side is the price at £22.50 for a very small bar

Back
Top Bottom