DMT Plate

Right i need a large DMT plate for lapping what grit should i get and any links to where is a good price appriciated

While i am at it anyone know where to get multi-colured sheets of acrylic not just a solid block of one colour. This one has really stumpted me.

You could try with Neil (Miller at the strop-shop.com), but he´s away on holiday from now and coming week. I´m sure he´ll help any way he can, when he´s back though.

DMT's w250cx*b (either a "W" or a "N" for the "*") is to me the best lapper DMT makes by a long mile.
Better at lapping than the X-X-Coarse 8x3 D8XX, and from our perspective those 8x3" plates are nearly an impracticality for crossing oceans given how much they weigh.

Most popular would be a DMT D8C

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.toolbox.co.uk/dmt-dmtd8c-d8c-diamond-sharp-5331-91709?CAWELAID=475354208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.toolbox.co.uk/dmt-dmtd8c-d8c ... =475354208</a><!-- m -->

Yep, D8C is far more popular than Duo-Sharp, but not nearly its equal for lapping because of the continuous surface, which causes lots of sticking.
I think it isn't the cost difference that drives the D8C to be so popular so much as its long incumbency versus the new kid on the block.
I'd love to see a Duo-Sharp interrupted surface in the physical geometry of a Norton lapping stone, with those huge 1cm deep gaps every so often...now that would be an exceptional lapper!

Most sticking issues are with the shapton glass stones, that's why a few pop for shaptons own lapping plate.

Trouble is that badboy costs around £300 so not really viable for a hobby honer.

Trust me on this; if you're considering a D8C for lapping/cleaning of either the Norton waterstones or Naniwa Super Stones, the cost increase to get a Duo-Sharp instead (even the smallest/cheapest of the Duo-Sharp 'plus') will be the best money you'll ever spend in this hobby. It makes a world of difference in the quality-of-life issues of enjoying the soft Naniwas. They get bright, clean, and flat quicker and without a damn hassle. I grumbled every time I used them for hundreds of razors, and upon giving the w250cx a go I now look forward to their use.

I use extra-coarse and coarse DMTs - on my third set now and for this reason I always recommend lapidary grit on a plate of glass or granite for initial truing of hard-to-lap stones, followed by the diamond plates for finishing off.

Contrary to what has been said above, the sticking issue holds true for every fine-grained stone or hone I have ever used a diamond plate on (includes DTs, thuringians, welsh oilstone, CFs, naniwa super hones, shapton glass stones, 6k King hones and others). If it's not an issue it generally means it is a very coarse-grained stone or you haven't even got anywhere near finishing lapping. I find (other peoples experience may differ from mine, of course) that once you are 'nearly there' then five or six laps causes the stones to stick together - forcing a few more laps makes them stick alarmingly - enough to damage the softer hones like naniwas if you aren't careful getting them to part company. You can avoid most of the 'stiction' issue by lapping underwater (dont use the sink - those plates can crack a vtreous sink in no time - trust me, I know!) - a washing-up bowl is a much better idea, or on the draining board of the kitchen sink with a tap dribbling water on an exposed part of the hone as you lap.

I finish nanis and shaptons with a shapton plate now - it has a ridged construction so sticking is not an issue. When I have worn out the DMT I will try the non-continuous surface as suggested above for this reason - sound advice.

Regards,
Neil

I've been using wet 'n' dry on a machine bed for the donkey work followed by a 600 DMT for a while now. My experience of the suction issue is identical to Neil's: very firm adhesion, greatly ameliorated by doing the job underwater. Oh, and hard novaculites are more than a match for diamond plates - I'll be following the lapidary grit method if I ever feel the urge to lap another one.

Back
Top Bottom