DIY Scent

I have seen lots of posts on folks making their own soaps, creams and oils, I've only ever experimented with oils.
Has any one bought a good quality unscented shaving cream and the added their own scent or EO's as there are lots of weird and wonderful smells available from retailers. Any recommendations and/or past endeavours appreciated.

Mal.

Blades said:
I have heard its somewhat more difficult than hiring your own chemist and then owning your own factory... :lol:

B

There's nothing like synpathy and encouragement from a pal ............... and that was nothing like sympathy & encouragement from a pal !!! ;)

JohnnyO. :lol:

MrMojo said:
I have seen lots of posts on folks making their own soaps, creams and oils, I've only ever experimented with oils.
Has any one bought a good quality unscented shaving cream and the added their own scent or EO's as there are lots of weird and wonderful smells available from retailers. Any recommendations and/or past endeavours appreciated.

Mal.

I am hoping that one of our soap-makers can advise on this. It sounds pretty simple in theory but I suppose it must depend on what you add to the cream as the wrong stuff could affect performance or even hurt your face. What is to stop someone adding a few drops of their favourite aftershave to some shaving cream? I expect it's a no-no otherwise it would be something that's discussed.

The difficulty you're going to have is that if you're thinking of mixing in essential oils, then they have to be carried or disolved in a base oil first. Then for the oil mix to penetrate the fabric of the soap properly you would have to re-melt the soap before adding the oil mix, then let it all cool together. The problem here is that you really shouldn't re-melt some shaving soaps, as you will impair their lathering abilities. The only type of soap you might be able to do this with would probably be a glycerine based soap. Then you would have to be very careful of the amount of essential oil you added to the liquid soap.

It would be next to impossible with a shaving soap - without a plodder, mill and extruder. You could try rebatching like home soapers sometims to, but it's a lot of work for probably a well below par result. Shaving creams should work, if you can find an unscented one - you could just stir in a fragrance oil; get your scents at a respectable soap ingredients supplier, like Sensory Perfection...

henkverhaar said:
It would be next to impossible with a shaving soap - without a plodder, mill and extruder. You could try rebatching like home soapers sometims to, but it's a lot of work for probably a well below par result. Shaving creams should work, if you can find an unscented one - you could just stir in a fragrance oil; get your scents at a respectable soap ingredients supplier, like Sensory Perfection...

Sensory perfection do some amazing stuff, some of the fragrace oils are so spot on it's unreal, i bought a "New Leather" one to mix into a blend, and it quite literally smells like brand new leather !

Just don't over do it with quantity, most reputable Fragrance/essential oil supplies will tell you the safe amounts to add....or ask one of the knowledgable people like Henk, Sharon, etc

MrMojo said:
Has any one bought a good quality unscented shaving cream and the added their own scent
Mal.

Hi there,

I have a tub of unscented AOS cream, and occasionally I'll take out a small amount and add one of my many EdTs or colognes to the stuff. The trick is to not go overboard and put too much fragrance in the cream, in which case the lathering performance can be affected. Yeah, easy does it for best results. The AOS shaving creams in general are nice products, with the lemon flavor being in my regular rotation.

At one time I had a bunch of assorted EOs, which can be a kick. You like bay rum? Get yourself some Pimenta Racemosa EO and have a blast.

Kind of a fun change of pace sniffing a favorite scent during the shave.

Martin

Maybe I can help.

If you are wanting to work with a solid soap, you will need to grate it down, weigh it and then melt it in small bursts in the microwave. once it is melted (you will probably need to add a little bit of water just to moisten the shreds of soap) then you can add up to 2% of the weight in either a fragrance oil or essential oil.

If you are using a cream soap, then you would stay within the same limits as far as percentages go. The thing to remember with essential oils is that once you're over 3% you are into therapeutic levels depending on age, health, drinking habits, etc., etc., etc.

HTH

Thanks for all the advice guys.
dodgy said:
I have a tub of unscented AOS cream, and occasionally I'll take out a small amount and add one of my many EdTs or colognes to the stuff. The trick is to not go overboard and put too much fragrance in the cream, in which case the lathering performance can be affected. Yeah, easy does it for best results. The AOS shaving creams in general are nice products, with the lemon flavor being in my regular rotation.

At one time I had a bunch of assorted EOs, which can be a kick. You like bay rum? Get yourself some Pimenta Racemosa EO and have a blast.

Kind of a fun change of pace sniffing a favorite scent during the shave.

Martin

Martin I love AOS have both lavender and lemon. I was thinking of getting their unscented and using that as it comes in a cool mixing tub and a great product but your way of doing a little at a time sounds interesting.

Mal

Back
Top Bottom