Ditching the Bowl

I've tried face lathering a few times of late and now I'm sold. It certainly doesn't result in quite as frothy a lather, but what it does do is make one that conforms much more closely to the skin. I think the lathering process also acts as a pre-shave of sorts, prepping the hair to be cut.

Guess we've got ourselves a new cereal bowl :lol:

When using soaps I face lather these days. With creams I use a bowl just to work the cream into the tips then face lather. On days of leisure out comes a scuttle for creating some warm lather in its bowl. Very nice.

Don't dismiss the bowl entirely, you can still face lather as usual, it can be useful for keeping the brush and any excess lather you create nice and warm.

I use a brush scuttle most days, I don't make the lather red hot but it keeps hot enough so that it's not stone cold, even with the scuttle I still mix creams in the bowl. It is not really a problem as it only takes 30 seconds to wash out and dry after the shave, don't ditch it yet.

Wook said:
I think the lathering process also acts as a pre-shave of sorts, prepping the hair to be cut.

That's pretty much the conclusion I've arrived at. I used a bowl exclusively when I started, but am now trying to get my face-lathering technique up to scratch. I'll use my bowl now and then; when I do I can't help thinking the lather would be better off softening those bristles from the get-go.

I haven't 'progressed' to face-lathering yet but I am sure it has its advantages. I just love the bowl and brush - it is the alchemy involved in whipping up a shaving potion and the swirling of the brush is like whisking eggs to make omletes which is usually what I am doing a half hour after shaving.

Back
Top Bottom