Disappointing Penhaligon's - but....

G

Visited Penhaligon's shop in Covent Garden yesterday and we were mightily disappointed at the experience. My wife and I had visit Trumper's and Taylor's in the morning and, I have to say, the service was second to none in both shops. Carefully attentive assistants, offering advice without being 'in your face'. We came away feeling special - products carefully packaged and so on. The art of selling without selling. After that came Floris - it's not a shaving shop Iand the assistants do not know one end of DE from the other, but the products are, IMHO, top notch. My wife bought the Fleur perfume. Would have come away with some No. 89 soap - should have. Next up - Penhaligon's. The atmosphere was dismal and the service non-existent. One junior assistant, on hand, who informed us that the English Fern soap is out of stock. Period. Not impressed.

regards

Peter

Trumpers is the only one I would now spend time visiting. Wasn't impressed by anyother;
DR.Harris was okay but more of a pharmacy than a shave shop.

If I want something more than Trumpers (my staple provider) then I walk down Jermyn Street and go up to the topfloor of Fortnum & Mason. They stock every one of the serious (and some not-so serious) shaving products. I have bought Floris, Penhaligons, DR and more from Fortnums.

hunnymonster said:
I had the same feeling in Penhaligon's in Glasgow last summer and Penhaligon's Edinburgh just after Hogmanay... sounds like they're consistent at least :lol:

We have repeatedly contacted Penhaligons by phone, email and letter over the last 12 years trying to stock their products.

They never reply, British retailing at it's very worst....

Robert

Only Penhaligons I could find listed for Scotland was

McEwens of Perth

56-72 St John Street
Perth
Scotland
PH1 5SN

Wish there was one in Glasgow. Might need to go for a test frive at Grassicks and swing by this McEwans place if anyone knows if it is any good.

Oh aye can see that now, you been in the Embra store?, any good?

I need to go through there in a week or two before I go on holiday to visit a custome...could be a nice detour.

I emailed Penhaligon's today, at all of their listed email addresses, to pass on my comments. Let's see if they reply. By contrast, I received a reply from Trumper's this morning to my email yesterday offering positive comments regarding the assistant who served us. They were delighted and promised to pass on the comments.

regards

Peter

I last visited Penhaligans in London (the one near Fortnums) and had some of the best customer service I have ever had. The lady asked what I was looking for, I said gifts for my Mum and GF not sure what. We spent 1.5 hours going through every scent/poduct and then individually wrapped then boxed (spraying pices of wrapping tissue with scent). At one point some new customers came in and she would not help them, explaining to me that the policy was not to drop a customer till we were finished, even if that means someone leaves. This was two weeks before Xmas, it was busy.
She then bunged in around ten samples for the women and myself and some invite cards to a colosed door scent choosing thing.

I guess it depends on the store and who you get.

C

That's great to hear and sounds fantastic. I wonder if the Covent Garden store is the poor relation. Even so...

Back
Top Bottom