Disappointed in Feather

After starting shaving after 35 years with a beard I ordered a blade samole pack from Connaught shaving a couple of weeks ago.I first tried a Derby which was pretty good 4 shaves before throwing away,then I tried 7 oclock yellow,superb sharpness 6 shaves before ditching,I could possibly have got more.Yesterday I bit the bullet and loaded up a Feather,the first shave was the best yet,no irritation closest shave of all with just two passes.Imagine my disappointment on finding the blade had lost most of its edge after just one shave I had to make four passes on my jawline and under the chin,and still have bristles on the chin and neck i didn't dare doing any more passes as my neck was getting sore.this blade may be the sharpest in the world but in my case only for one shave.Has anyone else found this blade to be so short lived.

Sounds as though you make have had a duff blade but I don't get on with them, albeit a long time since I last tried them. I found that the 1st shave was rough, the 2nd OK and the 3rd pretty poor. Much prefer Yellow 7 o'clocks and superthins.

I think I never got past two shaves either, but then I did suffer a little irritation from them.

The 7 o'clock's are an excellent blade, try both the St Petersburg models if you can, I really like the green super stainless which are less well known thna the famous yellows but even smoother IMO.

3 shaves is the most I can get from the Feather but I find the same for 7 o'clock yellow.
Still,both give sharp shaves so I use them both from time to time.
The Astra stainless is probably my compromise blade for smoothness/cut/longevity.
But enjoy trying many blades:it's a hobby after all.

I can get 3-4 3 pass shaves out of a feather blade but I only ever use one if I have more then a couple of days growth it's either that or get the futur out and dial it up ;)

Funnily enough, I find Feathers pretty durable - 4-5 good shaves at least from a blade and a couple of OK ones before it's ready for the tin.

It's 7 o'Clock yellows that I find don't last for me - 3-4 shaves and then they get rough and tuggy.

True what hunnymonster said - ask 2 people for their opinions on blades and you will get 3 different replies (I'm paraphrasing).
I find the Feathers start off super sharp and smooth and degrade quickly, usually thrown away after 2 shaves.
Yellows I find start off very sharp but not smooth, then get smoother as they (much more slowly) lose sharpness. Good for about 4 shaves for me.

Back
Top Bottom