Digibox PVR Hard-drive thingy

OK all I am an Apple Mac loving Vicar who knows little about technology but enough to be able to faff around and generally muck things up at which point I phone a friend who talks me down step by step.

I've had a Digibox PVR Hard-drive thingy under the telly for a couple of years but it was dead cheap and is now really playing up (skipping, stopping, jerky, generally seizing up). I loved the "guide" option (showing what was all on all channels, inc. radio, up to a week ahead) and the "library" thing where you keep all your recordings. I also loved being able to record two channels at once and watch a third (although very seldom did this: when are there three worth watching on tv, never mind simultaneously . . . still, good programmes are like busses . . .)

Anyway, I need a replacement. And I know you all to be men of discernment. So: any good makes/models? Any to avoid? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance,

Ollie

We just ditched our DVD recorder for simplicity - because the number of things on TV we want to watch is near zero and if you miss it, there's always the +1 variant or a repeat within the week (also often you'll find programmes on BBC1/2 go out at different times in Scotland/England/Wales/Norn Iron - so more oppos to see it again).

The ones that I hear the most positive things about seem to be Humax - not the world's foremost brand....

Does the picture break up on "only" recordings or also on live TV? It could actually be quite a simple/cheap fix... what make/model is it?

Does it play up only when you are playing back a recording?
I'm not familiar with your particular PVR but there are a couple of things you might like to try before you look for a new one, there should be a "default reset" and "format hard drive" facility somewhere in the menu. Try those, if the problem persists it might be a faulty drive in which case it can easily be replaced.

If none of that help I have a Humax 9200T which I would recommend, mine has been flawless for a couple of years and I have stuck a larger hard drive in it. Get one second hand on the bay.

I also love the program guide on this model, search and set to record through a week's worth of films and radio programs in short time plus a series link that can record a favourite program week after week. Excellent.

If you cannot go cable (hurrah for Telewest) then antdad's humax recommendation is a close second.

It's quite sad to admit it, but I have three humax recorders in the house along with our cable box. Humax are excellent !

guyhayton said:
It's quite sad to admit it, but I have three humax recorders in the house along with our cable box. Humax are excellent !

Do you know my Mother? She has a telly and video/DVD in every room of her house. She's the only person I know who circles programmes in the Radio Times. With two different coloured pens! :? :shock: :eek: :?

guyhayton said:
If you cannot go cable (hurrah for Telewest)

I'd rather eat my own undershorts (I cleaned that up dramatically) than give Branson a ha'penny of mine - I was a Telepest customer in the past, their service was abysmal, the customer service non-existent and their ability to screw up the billing was legendary - in another house I was an NTHelL customer and they made Telewaste look professional... So far as I can see all Beardy brought to the table was "Virgin's excellent customer service" (I experienced this in connection with trains, planes and phones... I'd rather walk, swim or shout).

Give it to the beardy-one (branson) OR give it to the weasly-one (murdoch) hmmm there is a choice???????

In Liverpool, NTL/Telewest is not that bad... and seeing as along with my digibox I get a 50MB internet connection I am not complaining.
In regards, customer service - had a faulty box that had to be replaced, I ended up waiting 2days. Perhaps I'm too English(stereotype) but whilst I was frustrated, I've forgotten and generally accepted it!

As always in this area YMMV :lol:

hunnymonster said:
guyhayton said:
If you cannot go cable (hurrah for Telewest)

I'd rather eat my own undershorts (I cleaned that up dramatically) than give Branson a ha'penny of mine - I was a Telepest customer in the past, their service was abysmal, the customer service non-existent and their ability to screw up the billing was legendary - in another house I was an NTHelL customer and they made Telewaste look professional... So far as I can see all Beardy brought to the table was "Virgin's excellent customer service" (I experienced this in connection with trains, planes and phones... I'd rather walk, swim or shout).

You are somewhat correct with your views on virgin.

But in there defense there product is probably the most technically capable. I have been with them for 6-7 years, and always find it depressing going back to my pazrents ADSL connection when i am there house. And the bt home hub is the biggest crock of pants that i have ever had the displeasure to come into contact with... ususal thing personal preference.

Millay said:

But in there defense there product is probably the most technically capable.

It would be if they didn't restrict what you can do - woohoo 50Mbit download (until you actually want to use it - then it only stays like that "for the first 10 minutes", then throttled)

I have been with them for 6-7 years, and always find it depressing going back to my pazrents ADSL connection when i am there house. And the bt home hub is the biggest crock of pants that i have ever had the displeasure to come into contact with... ususal thing personal preference.

Ah well BT, there's a whole new kettle of rotten fish. I entrust them to supply the physical line and that's it - if I could ditch them for that and retain choice for the ADSL part I would willingly do so and pay more for the privilege, I'd be ecstatic with "naked DSL" - I have no need of a traditional phone line, I have a SIP phone for the calls

As I've alluded, I pay handsomely for my DSL - and get full bore service 24 x 7 - if I want it - never had a single slow down related to contention since I switched to my current supplier... gets depressing when you go to someone's house on the same exchange who's with a "well-advertised" "big player" and you see the garbage they're putting up with for effectively top dollar but because it's (say) BT they trust (because it's friendly BT right?) that they're getting the best/what they pay for - and all too often they're being taken for a ride (one of the neighbours was told that his line was incapable of 8M by BT, to be fair after they'd put a ridiculous noise margin on the line it was incapable, but his line is shorter & less noisy than mine and I have 2-3 CRC errors per week).

hunnymonster said:
Millay said:

But in there defense there product is probably the most technically capable.

It would be if they didn't restrict what you can do - woohoo 50Mbit download (until you actually want to use it - then it only stays like that "for the first 10 minutes", then throttled)

I have the 20meg line, and honestly have never ever been throttled, even on using the dreaded bittorent. and I am a seriously heavy user.

Whereas at my parents using bittorent im often left with download speeds 1 5th of the capable speed.

i am well aware though that for good reason many people wouldnt touch them with a barge pole..

Any other recommendations for Ollie's PVR, can we try and keep a little more on topic when people are asking for specific info?

Yes do apolagise, went of on a complete tangent there.

I have a topuptv Thomson box for freeview +, I dont bother subscribing but It is a really good box and also if you want a 14 day planner its good for that to.

If any of you guys have your internet supplied by BT, if you ring them and say you are thinking of going elswhere ie virgin or sky, you can blag a free bt vision box out of them, if they offer you one just say you don't want a BT vision pack, just want it for freeview, then you have a Freeview box with an 80gb PVR :D (and if you blag hard enough they normally offer to reduce your monthy bill by a fiver as well) ;) ;)

I received about 3 digiboxes free from the government because I used to live in Ferryside. Ferryside was where they tested digital television.
Since Ferryside and the general area where I now live have gone completely digital, we've noticed that our boxes are playing up.
In bad weather the signal really plays up. Bring back analogue.
Oh and where has the BBC news multiscreen thingy gone. Thieving so and so's. :x

Thanks lads - I think I might have to buy a Humax!

As for the rest of the conversation, I have no idea what you were talking about!

Cheers

Ollie

Back
Top Bottom