Did anyone teach you to shave?

self taught as well via mantic

old folks bought me a battery foil shaver when they thought i needed it, tried to shave with it and the bloody thing wouldn't cut a thing
i thought it was broke so i stuck it on my tongue to test it :oops:

it was working fine :lol:

i had a flip top hinged DE as well, can't find any pictures on tinterweb of what it was but i think it was a Wilkinson Sword of some kind
used the usual canned foam but switched to a brush and black bowl WS soap years ago after inheriting grandads old brush
was happy with that and my Sensor

old man is a disposable user and won't bother with a DE but i have got him into proper aftershaves, balms and brushless creams

we also inherited grandads old razor but can't find it for love nor money
it was in a purple lined case with two metal blade boxes for new and used blades

My Dad passed away before I was shaving...my Mom tossed all his gear, but I seem to remember an old TTO that I played with but I know he used an injector later. My first razor was an electric my Mom got me, likely because she had no clue about face shaving. At some point I bought an aluminum Atra that I used for 30 years until I started with DEs a few months ago. I learned to shave from a library book on grooming. But naturally it just said "Wash your face and cover it with shaving cream and carefully run the razor over your face. I really don't remember how long it took me to get the hang of it.

But looking at pics of Dad, he was never particularly well-shaved, so I might not have gotten such good advice!

jansob said:
Thanks, spent a few months at another forum but decided to broaden my horizons a bit!

They are a good bunch here and I am glad that I joined the forum.

You should post a little bit about yourself in <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewforum.php?f=23</a><!-- l -->

Cheers

Adam

Pretty much the same as a lot of guys here, my dad used to use a DE bad had switched to an electric by the time I was shaving. I therefore got given an electric one Christmas and it didn't work for me. I had quite bad eczema in my teens and the electric just gave me the most horrible reaction so it was promptly switched for a Blue II and a can of foam and my dad got the electric.

It was the usual stuff; I was just kidding myself shaving bumfluff at first but it gave me the technique that I needed later when I had something resembling stubble. My dad didn't teach me as such, just said "watch yourself with this" and that was about that. Stayed with disposables and then cartridges before moving to DE 5 or 6 years ago. I didn't go to DE to save money, I just found I could only shave a few days in a row and then got a neck rash and ingrown hairs so DE was a much nicer way of shaving. I still think it was as much the brush and soap as the DE that made the difference.

I am still learning, now and again I find a slightly better way of getting the stubble down in fewer passe with a new razor. soap or blade and this difference between the shaving implements keeps it interesting.

I think I subconsciously copied my father. He always used soap in a bowl (C&E, Boots) and when asked talked about going both ways (two passes), any way I used a cartridge razor, Boots soap, two passes and a touch up since my early twenties. Twenty years on (for the last two months) I use a DE three passes and a touch up, but picked up the basics by imitation and trial and error a long time ago.

Kevin

My dad was always using electrics so I did the same early on.

I got a free Sensor through the post on my 18th (good marketing Gillette), and stayed with them until recently. Pretty much learnt by trial and error + Mantic)

I've now got my Dad onto DE's (Slim Adjustable > HD > Birth Year Tech) and he's happy as a pig in.

Just starting on my father in law (who's always used Goo + Disposable) - he's using a Slim Adjustable + Goo. Getting him some soap + brush for Christmas.

My brother are my next to convert - Looking out for a couple of Birth Year Super Adjustable (1981 + 1980) to give them at Christmas (with soap & brush).

Muhhhhh slowly they will all convert.

Was shown, I believe, how to shave with a ancestor of Mach 3 or something. But from there onwards I took it myself.

I remember buying Tabac shave cream 20 years ago, first attempts in using a good product. But took me years to refine it.

Dad used (and still does) electric shaver.

I was taught at the tender age of 16 by a corporal in basic training, this was shortly after he taught us how to wash ourselves very thoroughly and practically in the shower.

I'd turned up to basic with a nice shiney mach3, this Cpl used a sensor excel, later that evening we all had sensors, although I shaved everyday it was a further 3 years later that i needed to.

Started at 16yrs in the services, had to shave daily whether we needed to or not. Used the cheapest disposable and foam I could find till i was about 21. Switched to electric and cut myself to ribbons pressing too hard. Followed this routine, trying different electrics and different disposables.
Had a barbers wet shave around 18 months ago and was so impressed I "googled" wet shaving and found this place.
I have learned more in the last 12 months than in the previous 25yrs.
Thanks for all the help guys.

My old man wasn't around (actually, I chose for him not to be around, tbh), so I just fell into the whole 'whatever Gillette released next' thing. Never cared much for shaving, and I certainly never enjoyed it. Got really bored of that shaving cycle, and switched to the latest Wilkinson Sword thing (not the new one; the one before that one). Hated using that, so I started just not bothering shaving at all, which made things worse – I'd done this before over the years with no success.

Decided that – once the third nipper was born (Aug 13th of this year) – I ought not to look like a tramp quite so much, and I knew that key to this would be finding a way of enjoying shaving. I started thinking about it and started trawling the web. I found this place (amongst others that weren't based in the UK), and started to read and learn. I was also impressed by the 'properness' of it and the fact that it would involve 'me-time', which is something I wasn't getting very much of...

Self-taught (still learning), with a bit of osmosis thrown in for good measure. I also hope to pass it on to my boys when they are old enough, obviously.

Lipsy

Harleyrider are you anything to do with this blog <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://mreugenides.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mreugenides.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->, :?: the bairn is the one in your avatar.

Kevin

Kevin said:
Harleyrider are you anything to do with this blog <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://mreugenides.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mreugenides.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->, :?: the bairn is the one in your avatar.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, no nothing to do with it, never seen it before. I just googled avatars and ripped this as it looks funny. Haven`t read the blog , if it offends anyone I`ll happily change my avatar, regards, Daz.

Back
Top Bottom