Derby Premium v Derby Extra

Recently finished a pack of 100 Derby Extra blades and achieved 2 to 3 shaves per blade. Not many shaves per blade but they aren't expensive and I liked other aspects of their performance.
This time I bought a 100 pack of Derby Premium, costing only an additional £1 over 100 Derby Extra. I am amazed and pleased to be getting 5 to 6 shaves per blade. Other aspects of blade performance being much the same. So value for money is just super.

Good, good! I certainly think the Premium is better than the regular, and that's largely because the regular will only go one shave for me - two, and I'll have ingrowers. The Premium gives me my usual three shaves and it's a blade I like a lot! I have a pillar pack of double edge as well as a box of 100 singles for use in my Leaf Twig and Yaqi SE razors.

Your go-to blade, I guess?

My friend started DE shaving a few months back with a modern Chinese razor and Derby Extra. He didn't get on with it.
I gave him a range of blades and a Croap (3P) and decent Synthetic brush.
He reported back he got a fair bit of irritation.
I asked if he got a good lather out of the Croap. He said he did.
I asked him what blade he used. He said the same Derby Extra he used for that shave months ago. That particular blade hasn't left the razor!

Amazing how long blades last in the razors if folks who don’t know any better. My son gets 20+ shaves off a blade and I shudder to think how that must feel!
When young men shave, some of them have no more than bumfluff. As they get older, real bristles appear. That's how it was for me. Of course, there are some who have to shave when still in school. I have no memory of shaving until I was past 20, although I must have.

Back
Top Bottom