Deep cuts

I treated myself to an Opinel knife last year.
I have probably used it to open around 60 boxes since. However, on Thursday I managed to inflict a deep wound on my thumb. I applied Proraso blood gel to the wound and applied a hydrocolloid plaster, which I replaced on Friday morning with another. On Friday I removed the plaster and applied a wound strip. Which I replaced overnight. I removed it this afternoon.

Considering I was tempted to go to the minor injuries unit, it has now completely healed when two days ago it was spurting blood..

I thoroughly recommend blood gel, hydrocolloid plasters and wound strips...

I treated myself to an Opinel knife last year.
I have probably used it to open around 60 boxes since. However, on Thursday I managed to inflict a deep wound on my thumb. I applied Proraso blood gel to the wound and applied a hydrocolloid plaster, which I replaced on Friday morning with another. On Friday I removed the plaster and applied a wound strip. Which I replaced overnight. I removed it this afternoon.

Considering I was tempted to go to the minor injuries unit, it has now completely healed when two days ago it was spurting blood..

I thoroughly recommend blood gel, hydrocolloid plasters and wound strips...
I had tried iquid plasters previously but wasn't that impressed.I just Googled and there are a few liquid skin glue products. I am definitely adding them to my first aid kit.

Sounds nasty! I've got one of those Opinel knives too, they're a nice nostalgic knife that takes a better edge than it has a right to at the price. I can well imagine it inflicted quite a deep but clean cut. I'm amazed you managed to get that Proraso cut ointment to do much, given the likely amount of blood. (I want to say you wouldn't have an 'Opinel' of staunching the blood with that!)
I've got a tube of it, only used it once after a mishap with a straight razor, but I didn't think it was that great. Hydrocolloid on the other hand does seem to have pretty amazing healing powers. I've tried the 'spray on plasters' and find them better for grazes and abrasions than deep cuts. Handy to have though all the same.
Hope it heals up quick.

I had tried iquid plasters previously but wasn't that impressed.I just Googled and there are a few liquid skin glue products. I am definitely adding them to my first aid kit.
Yep...wound/steri strip + LiquidSkin glue is my usual goto cut care regime. It isn't a liquid plaster which is usually cack as you say but a modified superglue.

The medical profession advises cleaning wounds with saline. I might try using hypochlorous acid too. I would not add salt, April 1st is a few weeks away.
it’s been many a year since iv cut myself that bad.
Many years ago i was a chef,
stuck it for a few years and couldn’t be bothered with all the shect that went along with it.
salt was what we used when the young commies cut themselves no joke.
Plus in a household it not everyone that has saline in the cupboard

it’s been many a year since iv cut myself that bad.
Many years ago i was a chef,
stuck it for a few years and couldn’t be bothered with all the shect that went along with it.
salt was what we used when the young commies cut themselves no joke.
Plus in a household it not everyone that has saline in the cupboard
Adding salt to wounds is an expression for a reason. If I added salt to an actual wound, I am sure I would be crying or screaming. You are braver man than me.

This is now in my first aid kit.

download.jpeg

I drilled my thumb the other day.... Well when I say drilled I mean the drill bit broke and I stabbed the broken end still in the drill through my thumb nail. Fortunately I was pressing on some thick aluminium plate. So the drill did go all the way through, but stop short of coming completely out the other side... Glad I wasn't resting on wood....
111 told me I had to go to A&E....
It was only a 3mm drill bit. Anyway they couldn't be sure I hadn't nicked the side of the bone so then referred me to the plastics clinic.... :LOL:
It's almost healed.... Let's see what they say....
IMG_20220315_083812.jpg
I thought it more appropriate to add just a "Thumbnail" than the whole picture.... Boom boom.

Adding salt to wounds is an expression for a reason. If I added salt to an actual wound, I am sure I would be crying or screaming. You are braver man than me.

This is now in my first aid kit.

View attachment 85603

Back
Top Bottom