Decent off-the-rack suit?

Anyone have any tips on where's best to get a good quality, tailored or slim fit OTR suit? Ideally something of half- or even (ideally) fully-canvassed construction, but not extortionately priced?

I've been looking at the newish M&S Savile Row Inspired range, apparently designed by Richard James, but I'm also considering TM Lewin, which always seem to have a sale on. Can anyone comment on the quality of either?

I've never been impressed by TM Lewin (YMMV) but M&S has always been pretty hard wearing, if conservative. Austin Reed are worth a look - they sell some decent suits and have a range of styles on offer. Again, there is always a sale on the go (at least on the web) but that's usually genuine last season stuff, rather than goods that you would never have bought at full price.

I buy suits in an independent Menswear shop. I tend not to worry about brand too much. I just try a few on and see what fits best. I can usually get away with Off the peg, even though according to the chart in the Doctors I am clinically too short for my weight. I still have to buy Slim Fit shirts. :)

The last round of suit-buying I did was at Austin Reed: 2 pure wool suits (which they had slightly adjusted for me) for £300 (heavily reduced). I also have a black suit I use for funerals (and the styling of the jacket doubles up for a dinner jacket) from Zara, of all places. £100 and 100% wool again.

TK Maxx is probably worth trawling through?

Are Austin Reed suits half-canvas or the cheaper fused type? I've done some searching on various forums and apparently the construction of a suit is something to really look out for when buying; the half and especial fully canvassed types offer better fit and are more durable, especially to dry cleaning. So I'm keen to buy something decent, without having to shell out four figures for Gieves and Hawkes.

I've a couple of Jaeger suits, bought in sales, that I find are both hard wearing and well tailored. I generally buy a second pair of trousers too, which really prolongs the life. As I tend towards the less fashionable, more classic styling it works well for me.

Another option, if there is one within a reasonable distance, is to spend an afternoon at an outlet village where you will find some excellent, top of the range clothiers with heavily discounted ranges.

All the best,

Jon

Clifford said:
Are Austin Reed suits half-canvas or the cheaper fused type? I've done some searching on various forums and apparently the construction of a suit is something to really look out for when buying; the half and especial fully canvassed types offer better fit and are more durable, especially to dry cleaning. So I'm keen to buy something decent, without having to shell out four figures for Gieves and Hawkes.

You can usually spot a canvassed suit by looking for stitching on the underside of the lapels.

geordie sam said:
Charles Tyrwhitt is THE ONLY place you need to look at,I get all my shirts there,his suits are something to behold,just Google Charles Tyrwhitt.
You WON'T be dissapointed.

Sam. (The Dandy)

Im the same, cant be beaten in quality for the price!

Back
Top Bottom