Death Of Tallow Sticks

g1PQ205.jpg

We invented that, too!

Meh! Might as well lament the death of leaded petrol.

I don't think it's quite so steered by modern correctness as I really don't think the market for shaving sticks is anything like interested in a specific ingredient set. It must be a simple cost versus profit calculation on a product that is churned out by literally millions per year, at a guess.

Back to the petrol analogy. I've not used the veg Tabac, but I do have first-hand experience of Erasmic from tallow to firsrt abominable veg formula to gradually improved and the now really very good formula (although discontinued now as well). I have Boots sticks - vintage tallow and modern veg, so not a direct comparison, but again the veg formula is good! I have both the tallow and veg LEA sticks (again, latest veg stick rather than the abortive first attempt) and consider the veg stick to be better. Given the choice, I'd still take a tallow Erasmic, but would most definitely choose the veg LEA. So, my choice is not so much about ingredients but about the formula. Mind you, LEA has lanolin so not vegan.

Mmmm ... sheep grease!

... and Arko/Derby? Yes, both very good sticks and I also would suggest Derby as the nicer of the two, although Arko is an experience.

Beyond the mainstream, if there is an interest in tallow based shaving soaps then there will be an artisinal market that grows around it. Anyone interested in a really good butcher to soapmaker tallow based soap should look to Moon Soaps.
I do lament the death of leaded petrol as I worked as a Process Operator at Associated Octel Company at Ellesmere Port in the TEL’s producing both Tetra Ethyl Lead and Tetra Methyl Lead during my fifteen years there I decommissioned two of the TEL buildings before I took the redundancy package back in 2000. If it was still going I would be retiring at my current age if 56 with a pension pot of £1.1 million! So will have to stay on the treadmill until 60 at least.

Paul,
Until a few years ago here in Italy they could be found quite easily.
I found the last ones in a very old perfumery ( more than 100 y history )
The same where I bought a crazy 30/40 years old west Germany Tabac (after 10 seconds of the brush in the bowl an awesome slick and dense leather )
but the owner's son is a collector and wet shaver, so no good deals ( indeed expensive )
just something that is perhaps difficult to find in these conditions.
Sorry for the OT

View attachment 92098View attachment 92099View attachment 92100View attachment 92101
Very lovely Tabac lather! Would you happen to know how your W.German Tabac soap would compare to the most recent Tabac tallow soap or the latest non tallow Tabac?

Looking back, I wish I would have tried more tallow soap sticks sooner. To have found what I liked best and stockpiled those.

While I do have a good supply of Turkish tallow shave sticks. ( over 40 ) Arko, Jikoryen, Derby. I do miss not trying the Western European shave sticks more.

I only got to try Speick and have a few sticks of The Palmolive, that I have yet to try.

I just assumed that since those old tallow soaps/sticks had been around for a while. That when I finished up what I have. I would try them next.

I also got caught up in the US artisan soap craze while this was happening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom