DE Blade Challenge II

I have used this resource for a few years as a "compass" of some sort and can state that I agree with his findings for the vast majority of blades he has reviewed. Beware: you may see your "sacred cow" slaughtered. Regardless, it makes for good reading and may make one rethink a certain blade they tried & disregarded before. Ironically, Mr. Carrington used to post on this forum years ago and his is a name long associated with wet shaving for his valued opinions & experiences. Enjoy:

https://sites.google.com/site/gdcarrington1/home/de-blade-challenge-ii

Using that chart it seem a lot of blades with a few exceptions drop in both sharpness and smoothness after two days but may be used for one or two more days. So by only using a blade for two days as I do I always get the best out of the blade before it drops off in sharpness and smoothness . There are however a few blades that I would feel comfortable using for four maybe five days before any significant drop off. Very intresting indeed. Thank you for posting.

Fourth day here on a Personna blade. It still shaved close in my Parker 24C but smoothness tailed off and more skin tingle. I might get one more shave out of it.

So by only using a blade for two days as I do

I noticed the same thing. I have mostly used a 3 day rule. I am thinking I will change to a 2 day rule. Even on that basis, I should only spend £20 per year on blades max, but enjoy the best of shaves each day [meanwhile, off he goes to buy more razors and software that completely blows any so called economies out of the water]

Well an extra £20 a year on blades to ensure a perfect shave day after day is well worth it for me, there are a few I would use for 3-4 days one of them being the Lodz Polsilver but most I bin after two uses and have never thought ....I should have changed that or that wasn't as comfortabal as yesterday. Blow the economies give me comfort every time

...interesting analysis and some real work here. A great resource for others- thank you for signposting...

thing is, with this type of subjective test, change one variable like say, put in three or 4 drops of glycerine at the start of the shave and every number changes.

i shave every other day, three shaves per blade. could get more out of some brands but not worth the risk of a shoddy shave.
the performance obviously changes with each shave but not enough to cause concern.