Dates and any other info appreciated

Hi all. I recently decided to pick up a couple of vintage DE razors from ebay. I've cleaned them up am looking forward to trying them out. If my research is right, then the blue one is a Gillette Super Slim Twist. Code is U2, so I'm assuming Spring 1974?
The razor on the left does not have a letter/date code, but instead has a 3 and a 1 stamped on the plate. Can anyone shed any light on this please (model, year etc.?) Also any advice on sympathetic blades to use with them would be great. 20201219_130212.jpg

Thanks @Palmolive fox . That's a great I.D. chart. Do you know if there is there any significance to a lack of letter? The plate is stamped "Made in England", but just the two numbers on the reverse.
I'm no expert, but the "Made in England" Gillettes often didn't include date codes. Some did, some didn't. For those that didn't, you can only approximate based on the look of the razor and style of the individual components.

Short answer... Still no sure?
This may help.. https://www.razoremporium.com/gillette-date-codes-serial-numbers/
Scroll down to 1970's to see this will help you.
Yours-Barry
P. S. both of the razors you have a superb shavers.
Cheers @Palmolive fox . I did a little reading first regarding condition to expect etc. and sat back to see purchase points on ebay! I can see they're not the most sought after judging by what I paid, but after starting off buying a couple of new cheap Chinese razors to get started, it's nice to have a British-made 50 year old bit of kit. Can't wait to give them a run-out.

The aluminium Gillette Tech is a fantastic razor for new and seasoned shavers alike. If you look through the various forums the only criticism you'll be likely to find of Techs is that they're very mild. They all are, but please don't confuse mild with inefficient - if you find the right angle it'll give you a great shave with little risk of nicks or irritation. The milder the razor is, the more skill is required to get a close shave.

The aluminium Gillette Tech is a fantastic razor for new and seasoned shavers alike. If you look through the various forums the only criticism you'll be likely to find of Techs is that they're very mild. They all are, but please don't confuse mild with inefficient - if you find the right angle it'll give you a great shave with little risk of nicks or irritation. The milder the razor is, the more skill is required to get a close shave.
Cheers @Smudge - good to know. To be honest, after starting with a Shave Factory TTO I thought I was a natural. That has been so easy to use, and every blade I've put through it has done a decent job (although obviously some better than others!) I then grabbed a Lord L6 to see if longer handles were better, and also just to have a 3 piece as well as the TTO. With a Shark blade it was weeper central, but I went back to try it last week with a Voskhod and while not as intuitive as the Shave Factory/Ming Shi, it certainly wasn't the nick-fest of my first run.
So it will be nice to use a crafted bit of kit, and still brush up on the basics.

Back
Top Bottom