Danny Willett

I had to go to bed when he was at the 16th. Put a real spring in my step when I read he'd won this morning.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

A good steady performance. Read something elsewhere earlier, one of those uncharitable types, who said it was more a case of Speith losing it. Bollocks to that! He kept his game together while others lost theirs. That's what winners do.

Agreed. He shot a 67 in the final round of the Masters. He definitely won it rather than being gifted it.

Quite incredible. I'd never heard of him until last night. Where has he come from? I don't recall him being in contention for any other of the Majors previously, never seen his name as a possible of recent Ryder Cup teams. Great result though. Well done that man.

1) Danny is a former world amateur No.1.

The Sheffield lad rose to the top of the amateur game in 2008 and played in the Walker Cup in 2007, the same year he won the English Amateur Championship.

2) He pushed Rory all the way in the 2015 Race to Dubai

Eight years after beating Rory McIlroy in the Amateur Championship, Danny pushed Rory all the way over a thrilling season on the 2015 Race to Dubai. The new Masters Champion won the first event of the season, the Nedbank Golf Challenge, before pipping his good friend Matt Fitzpatrick to the Omega European Masters title in Switzerland. Heading into the season finale at the DP World Tour Championship, Dubai, McIlroy led by just 1,613 points over Willett in the Race to Dubai standings. Rory won the event to take the Race to Dubai accolades, but Danny had made his intentions for the future clear with a season that yielded two wins and seven other top tens.

3) Son of a preacher man…

Willett is the son of a Church of England vicar — the Reverend Steve Willett, whose parish church is in Sheffield — and a Swedish maths teacher, Elisabet, who works at a comprehensive school in Barnsley. Danny has often spoke about his dad in glowing terms, saying, “The best psychologist I know is my dad, because what he says is so grounded, and it's about whether you're doing right or wrong. When you're away from golf you need that balance, and he provides it." He is the third of four sons produced by Steve and Elisabet, and was introduced to golf by his two older brothers.

4) He was contemplating missing the 80th Masters Tournament

Only last month Danny said he would not attend the 80th Masters Tournament if it conflicted with the birth of his first child. Thankfully his wife Nicole, whose due date was Masters Sunday, welcomed Zachariah James Willett to the world early (on March 29) and Danny was able to travel to Georgia to pick up his Green Jacket and become the first European Masters Champion in 17 years.

5) He practised with Bernard Langer on Tuesday

Danny may have been a little under-prepared for Augusta after baby Zach's arrival the week before the tournament, but he picked a perfect practice partner on Tuesday in the form of the great Bernhard Langer. The German legend is known for his pathologically meticulous nature and, before last week, had played 110 competitive rounds at Augusta compared to Danny's four. You would learn more playing one round with Langer at Augusta than you would if you went round 100 times on your own.

6) He attended an American university

Danny may well will be donning European blue come September for The Ryder Cup, but he spent part of his golfing education at Jacksonville State University in Alabama, where he became the 2006 Ohio Valley Conference Freshman of the Year, and won many honours.

7) He has now won five times on The European Tour, but where was his breakthrough win?

After a solid first full season on The European Tour, which saw Danny finish 58th in the 2009 Race to Dubai, his first victory came a few years later at the 2012 BMW International Open. It did not come easily though as Willett had to battle Marcus Fraser all the way for the honour, before prevailing on the fourth hole of a play-off.

A magical chip from the rough behind the green set up a tap-in par to seal the win. Fast forward four years and a magical chip at the 17th hole at Augusta National played a huge part in Willett's Masters triumph.

8) His Official World Golf Ranking was 102nd just 12 months ago. Now it reads nine.

Only a year ago, Danny was ranked outside of the top 100 players in the world. Today, the Yorkshireman is inside the top ten. Danny has always believed in himself, and those who follow The European Tour have seen why over the past few years as he has charged to the top of golf's world order.

Read more at http://www.europeantour.com/europea...6/news/newsid=289707.html#QXBudZv03zar08y7.99

Great result, flawless final round and well.deserved. I also backed casey and JB Holmes e/w kerching!

Hiya,

Rarely does golf ever get watched but The Masters gets serious viewing time. Jeeez, that is one purty course. You know, there were short flashes of Mr Willett ether walking around or maybe a putt, but not much exposure until his 12th hole or later and he was wearing all white till the end. I remember thinking I hadn't heard of him before, along with lots of other younger players. Heh, the guy looked very squeaky clean in his original bright outfit.

Martin

Very pleased with DW's win, but I really felt for Speith. I hope we hear more of DW in the future; he is a fine player and a true sportsman (unlike one former top player who disgraced himself). It's hard to believe that Spieth is a mere stripling of 22. He strikes me as being very level headed, mature beyond his years and thoughtful with a sprinkling of humility. I'm sure he'll rally and learn much from his implosion. In a way though this implosion could be one of the best things to happen to him and make him an even better player than he is. Let's not forget that he did tie for second, notwithstanding; none too shabby in itself.

Very pleased with DW's win, but I really felt for Speith. I hope we hear more of DW in the future; he is a fine player and a true sportsman (unlike one former top player who disgraced himself). It's hard to believe that Spieth is a mere stripling of 22. He strikes me as being very level headed, mature beyond his years and thoughtful with a sprinkling of humility. I'm sure he'll rally and learn much from his implosion. In a way though this implosion could be one of the best things to happen to him and make him an even better player than he is. Let's not forget that he did tie for second, notwithstanding; none too shabby in itself.
Agree with all that. He's a credit to himself and the game.

Back
Top Bottom