Damaged Blades? - Feather Pro-Guard

Took delivery of a pack of Feather Pro-Guard blades after slicing my face to ribbons with the Professional blades in my Feather Artist Club and noticed that after one shave there seemed to be a few nicks in the blade as can be seen in the attached pic. I never placed the razor or blade on any surface or in the sink so cant understand why it would be like this.

Any ideas what could cause this or if this is something others have come across.

Cameron

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 93
Can't explain this, but I had the same thing on a DE blade once, visible nicks out of the blade edge. It's very strange, but mine wasn't as severe as that looks.

SmallBeard said:
Can't explain this, but I had the same thing on a DE blade once, visible nicks out of the blade edge. It's very strange, but mine wasn't as severe as that looks.

Must admit I have never seen this on any blades single or DE. It is really strange as they are all quite visible nicks as well. Hoping the whole pack isn't going to be like that as it may mean only one shave per blade which isn't ideal.

Ouch!

I'd check the rest of the pack and then be getting in touch with your supplier if any number are damaged. Those feather blades aren't cheap.

Perhaps the rise in popularity of the Feather Artist Club / SS razors has led to an increase in blade production which has put a strain on QC?

I know in the 'olden days' I never had a single problem with a single blade.

That is very unusual for feather QC is usually pretty good, If the rest of them are like that I'd complain to whom you supplier is, I ain't never seen nothin like that.

If you're sure you haven't dinged them yourself I would send them back and ask for replacements!
I just checked my pack of pro-guards and they all seem ok under a big magnifying glass, but I just ordered a pack of pro's and super pro's from executive for my SS and will be checking them very closely on delivery.

daz said:
...I just ordered a pack of pro's and super pro's from executive for my SS and will be checking them very closely on delivery.

Daz, let us know how you get on with Super Pros - I used them in a Cobra - admittedly in very early days - and found them a step too far for me. After 1 shave I binned the blade and gave the rest away just in case I should ever feel tempted to try them again.

Will do Rob.
I was just going to go with the pro's but decided I might as well try the super pro as well. I read too many bad stories about the other ones being crap (cant remember what they are called) So I decided to give them a swerve for now.
Looking forward to at last trying something other than the pro-guards. They were great in the beginning but now I have got to grips with the feather they just don't feel as sharp as they should be. Maybe just because my technique is improving?

They arrived on Tuesday but I haven't got round to giving them a go yet. But the Pro Supers shall get an outing this evening, once I have finished cutting 3/4 acre of grass that is! Shall report back, hopefully in SOTD thread and not in the "Man bleeds to death from razor cut" thread

mmhhh, not a good shave!
Tried the pro-super tonight and it wasn't a pleasant experience. It felt ok while shaving but when I put the AS balm on it stung like fek, my face is feeling a little raw at present. Don't have any weepers or cuts, just a sore face. Maybe some more practise? I have been using straights for quite a few years and the feather with pro-guard blades for a few months so I am pretty sure it is not technique? I did also use a soap that is not in my rotation so that could be a factor as well? In the end I had to finish off the last two passes with a DE. Give the blade another try on Monday, tomorrow will be too soon!

I tried the pro supers again on sunday, cut myself to pieces :-(
To be honest I think it was my technique but I havent been able to shave properly since. The cut just keeps opening up everytime it gets wet or if I drag any type of blade accross it. Got a wedding on Saturday so no shaving until Sat morning to let the skin heal.
I dont think I am using this razor enough, it was good with the pro-guards but I think you need to use these things regularly to keep your technique up to scratch, same with straights. My last couple of shaves with a straight have been pretty poor too, but then I have been using my Ever-Ready SE quite a bit recently and dont think the others are getting enough of an outing.

That doesn't sound at all pleasant Daz, but I find that my face is sometimes a bit more tender than when I used my DE. Have to remember though that I'm very new to the Feather SS an only on my 14 shave and I'm using the Pro Guards too! It has been getting better though and I haven't had any cuts or weepers since the first couple of outings, but I have used it every day. Hope your face is ready for the wedding day shave though!

Daz, I also just did not get on with these although I did wonder if, like you, my trchnique was not quite up to it at the time - it was early days with the Cobra. However, as I said before it's not an experiment I intend trying again.

Back
Top Bottom