Customs duty and import VAT on US purchases.

I'm doing an executive MBA with a U.S. school. They needed to send me my computer (the program supplies each participant student with one, Lenovo laptop) and for this they used FedEx shipment.

Computer arrived here, item was declared in the accompanying papers as "On loan" (officially the computer is property of the school till I graduate, then it becomes mine) with a value of 500 USD if I remember correctly.

With VAT, duty and courier company's fees I ended up paying around Eur 170. This VAT & duty thing is ridiculous - we pay so much for everything here in Europe while in the States they get the same or better things considerably cheaper.

There is nothing better than taking the plane, flying over to the other side of the Atlantic and filling up a few bags with clothes, electronics and other goodies every couple of years. Almost everything is so cheap and of good quality in the U.S. that the $$$ spent on flying & staying over for a week or so are offset by the savings you have from the shopping you've done.

Back
Top Bottom