Crystal Super + Platinum

I had pretty well settled down with red personna and Gillette Super Thins. This was after I concluded that Derby blades were not quite sharp enough for me.
After a long spell of staying with these two blades I tried a Feather and then IridiumSuper both in my forgiving Superspeed. Both proved too sharp for me. They both gave a very close smooth shave but left me with an unacceptable soreness or burn despite applying no pressure at all during the shave.

So I was a bit wary of trying my remaining sample pack of Crystal Super+ Platinum blades. I had no need to worry. In my Jagger DE87 they have given me perhaps my best DE shave to date. It seemed to have to work a little harder than the Super Thin during the ATG but the end result is superb.A close smooth shave with no irritation. Funny old business this. I noticed on this blade review that the Crystals are rated below the Derby Extra for performance. Perhaps I need to better understand the criteria being used for evaluation. As always it is our own experience and judgement that matters.

So I will stock up with Crystals for use in rotation with red personna and Super Thins and call it a day on blades for a few years. Not that I will ever be as prepared for the shavocalypse as HM.

Fido,

Rating anything is entirely subjective, and althought Squire's blade reviews on SMF are very thorough and informative, you have to bear in mind that they are based on findings when he shaved with them.

For example, he rates Derbys higher than Gillette 'Swede', and according to my face, that's total nonsense. Having said that I am a fan of the Gillette 7 O'Clock (yellow) and so is he, but he also likes Feathers and I can't get on with them.

Swings and roundabouts. Part of the fun is finding the combinations that suite you.

Ian

Rangers: my benchmark used to be UK Wilks, but there's no point in bemoaning what's gone. From what you said about your barber Luigi in the Proraso thread, do you think I'd do well to track down some Astra Plats? (The current favourite is Iridium Super because they're reliably smooth as well as sharp).

Arrowhead said:
Rangers: my benchmark used to be UK Wilks, but there's no point in bemoaning what's gone. From what you said about your barber Luigi in the Proraso thread, do you think I'd do well to track down some Astra Plats? (The current favourite is Iridium Super because they're reliably smooth as well as sharp).

Andy I have a packet of UK Wilks you can have. PM your address. Luigi got me 100 about 6 months ago for £8 :eek: I've given just about them all away. At one stage no-one would take them, I think they thought I was at the madam. Luigi thinks the Astras are very good, a trifle sharper, but still very smooth. I use these and the Gillette Bleue Extras for my 'work shaves' and the Gillette super thins for 'social shaves' Hunny put me on to these, his opinions have been absolutely spot on. I got these on e-bay from mymikado & dridiot resectively, their prices have risen I believe. When we got them it was about £8 odds per 100 incl delivery. I think the Astra sup. Plats. and the iridiums are very similiar.
Regards

Back
Top Bottom