Creams for silvertip/shaving bowl use

Used the Taylors of Bond Street Almond sample kindly sent to me by Boab today. Lovely creamy lather created by using my Kent Silvertip in a bowl. By the time it was on my face I could barely detect the Almond aroma. A great shave followed. I see why there is such enthusiam for these Taylor creams. Anyone care to suggest other more pungent aromas by Taylors that will linger as I shave?

Sorry Pete, do you mean all Taylors scents are virtually undetectable or are you agreeing that they make good creams? Judging by your earlier post you are a Taylors fan so I suspect it's the latter.

They do a flavour called Mr Taylor. It would help if someone could try to describe the scent of the non self explanatory ones - Mr Taylor, St.James, Jermyn Street Collection, Eton College and Shaving Shop if memory serves.

Tried a Jaggers Sandalwood cream sample sent to me by Boab. Pleasant but no match for Taylors of Bond Street Almond. There are subtle differences that might be due to inconsistent lathering so perhaps I didn't make the best of the Jaggers. Very personal this question of likes and dislikes. I'm beginning to realise the Taylors is better than I thought, the absence of a distinctive aroma certainly keeps after shave options open.

Fido I have been trying to find an almond soap/cream that lingers.I found the Taylor's was too subtle then we had he infamous CONUK P160 group buy (I will let you read about that in a different thread) Anyway the P160 soap is probably the strongest almond scent I have found so far.Really sweet marzipan and I love it, great shave too.Keep your eye out for a group buy of this stuff it is well worth it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.connaughtshaving.com/p160.html">http://www.connaughtshaving.com/p160.html</a><!-- m -->

Fido, I have a big tub of Mr Taylor cream, I will send you some when I work out what to put it in.
It lathers as well as the Almond, traditional, nice fresh/sporty cologne scent (50's Wimbledon esq) that lasts well post shave. Not as moisturising as almond but not drying either.
I don't use it that often as it will clash with further smellies. Good for an in a rush shave and smell nice in one stop.

C

Fido said:
Sorry Pete, do you mean all Taylors scents are virtually undetectable or are you agreeing that they make good creams? Judging by your earlier post you are a Taylors fan so I suspect it's the latter.

Most of the Jermyn Street shops make creams in known scents like rose, sandalwood, almond etc.
They also have their own house colognes that sometimes have a matching aftershave and cream. Mr Taylor is one of those made by Taylors.

Each of these posts are so helpful!
I like the thought of the Mr Taylor cream/after shave combination. Think I'm going to be a Taylors fan! Seems very good value for the quality. There is obviously room for variety - while I like aromas it is equally pleasant to use a lather that has other excellent properties. Then it can be followed by an after shave which gives all the aroma one wishes. I guess its what the final overall combination produces which matters.

I see you now have a bucket of the MR Taylos too, good choice, I used it this morning after yesterdays posts, frogot how nice it is.
NB. It is very soft/gooey and is really easy to get too much on the brush. By too much I mean that it is very concentrated so don't be afraid to add loads of water and form a stack of later mmmmm :shave

C

Some feedback since my original post.

These are the creams I decided to try:

Proraso
Art of Shaving (lemon) - had it already
Traditional Shaving Co - already had that too.
Musgo Real
TOBS Mr Taylor
Castle Forbes Lavender
Truefit and Hill Rose
Trumpers - various samples.
Palmolive - using as combo with stick

My silvertip BK8 and bowl enable me to create some superb lathers - have already tried most of these and they are all excellent. But then the people who suggested them knew what they were talking about.

One thing that strikes me is the importance of lathering technique and the fact that there is little correlation between cost and quality of shave. Of course a pleasant aroma is a sensual pleasure, but creams without much scent still offer a fine shave. Best value has to be the palmolive combo which must be part of any rotation.

My collection of creams and soaps will probably keep me going foe quite a while!

Many thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and to Boab who kindly sent me some samples.
Great forum this.

Glad you haven't rejected the Palmolive stalwart's.
That AOS lemon cream sounds delicious, how do you find it?
I have the sandalwood and it is a superb cream with the best sandalwood scent I have sniffed.

I had to chuckle looking at this thread I started. Having spent a fortune on many soaps and creams over the following years, here I am just using two of the cheapest shaving sticks grated into bowls. I’m well stocked up with Palmolive and Argo which will keep me going for quite a while. If I do get another cream it will probably be the Body Shop‘s Maca Root. But I’m always open to suggestions.

I had to chuckle looking at this thread I started. Having spent a fortune on many soaps and creams over the following years, here I am just using two of the cheapest shaving sticks grated into bowls. I’m well stocked up with Palmolive and Argo which will keep me going for quite a while. If I do get another cream it will probably be the Body Shop‘s Maca Root. But I’m always open to suggestions.
The main thing is that you enjoyed the journey to where you are now. Palmolive and Arko are good performers.

Have you tried the Ach Brito Lavanda cream?

Back
Top Bottom