Cracked Gillette handle - carbon fibre mod

Hello,

Another Gillette handle that has decided to join so many other cracked ones.

Out with some tools, resin and a length of carbon fibre tube. I've used a woven tube in a matt finish to give a bit of grip, the last thing I want is a slippery, gloss handle in the presence of soap.

EDIT: I made it 15mm longer than standard too.

40174D46-25E6-4E75-B622-98C6A3A142B0.jpegF2EE08F0-03C4-4F1C-90D1-425D962D9FC7.jpegDC90AED0-D425-4D4B-90C0-1CFD1662F16F.jpeg

Last edited:
Neat! I fixed a couple a few years back with some brass tubing which I made my own Milday lenth and Big Boy length. No knurling, though, but a little heatshrink gave some grip. It carbon fibre grippy enough?

Thanks. It's quite grippy. I've used a matt finish woven tube. A gloss finish carbon would have been like trying to hold a greased weasel once it had got wet & soapy.

Last edited:
I anneal mine and solder, then slightly reduce the diameter of the end pieces to make them a slip fit. Then "tin" the end pieces, flux the tube, and solder all together. Looks normal and won't crack again.
They're slightly long from the factory, I see no need to lengthen, the proper hold is two fingers and an opposing thumb, not a fist.

It's now the same length as my “daily driver” Feather and my home turned brass handle that I usually use on a New or Old when I have a load of scruffy git to mow off. The length suits me. I had 30 minutes to spare, a box of carbon off cuts and fancied something different.

It's a poor example of a cheap, mass produced razor handle, I think we're on safe ground defiling it. If it were a feresco of Christ by Martinez on the wall of a church in Zaragoza I'd have left well enough alone.

Last edited:
Hello,

Another Gillette handle that has decided to join so many other cracked ones.

Out with some tools, resin and a length of carbon fibre tube. I've used a woven tube in a matt finish to give a bit of grip, the last thing I want is a slippery, gloss handle in the presence of soap.

EDIT: I made it 15mm longer than standard too.

View attachment 64078View attachment 64079View attachment 64080
That's looking rather nifty. Well done sir. I doff my hat to thee.

Back
Top Bottom