Cooncat Bob Handle

Fellas,

i should hopefully have a Bullmastiff Handle coming in the next few days, i need to get a head to put on it, i want an OC head, was looking at getting one of the old designed Muhle R41 but cant fine one, then was looking at a Merkur 41C head...or a nice condition Gillette OC head if i can find one.

any ideas chaps.....??

this is the look im going for:

Cooncatbob_BullMastiff_01.jpg

Great handle, I've been very tempted to get the deluxe one to go with a NEW head, the old Gillette's are nickel plated just like Bob's handles so should match.

i asked bob a similar question and decided to get the long tooth new head...which i have got...still to try it tho,,,seems a shame to dirty it..lol

I found this on the Bed & Breakfast forum, posted by cooncatbob himself:

I've only seen 2 different thread sizes on 3 piece razor.
The #10-32 which Gillette used and the slightly large metric M5 X 0.8.
The metric thread is used by Muhle, EJ and Goodfella.
Merkur actually seems to between the metric and the #10-32.
A metric handle will screw on a Gillette head, most Gillette handles have threads that are worn over size so they may or may not screw onto a metric head.
A freshly cut #10-32 handle like my Bull Mastiff will not screw onto a metric head, however the handle can be rethreaded with a metric tap quicker then it tae to type this and then the handle will fit a metric head and still fit the vintage Gillette heads.
I do this on request, the reason I don't thread all my handles with the metric tap is because some vintage Gillette Old Type heads are very under size and I don't want a very loose fit.

i see now,

well it may be here by mon / tue, will have to see what it takes, it was purchased from a UK seller so it may well take a Muhle / merkur.

i may just order a replated head from cooncatbob or get Dave at safetyrazors to sort one out for me.

kt66 said:
I found this on the Bed & Breakfast forum, posted by cooncatbob himself:

I've only seen 2 different thread sizes on 3 piece razor.
The #10-32 which Gillette used and the slightly large metric M5 X 0.8.
The metric thread is used by Muhle, EJ and Goodfella.
Merkur actually seems to between the metric and the #10-32.
A metric handle will screw on a Gillette head, most Gillette handles have threads that are worn over size so they may or may not screw onto a metric head.
A freshly cut #10-32 handle like my Bull Mastiff will not screw onto a metric head, however the handle can be rethreaded with a metric tap quicker then it tae to type this and then the handle will fit a metric head and still fit the vintage Gillette heads.
I do this on request, the reason I don't thread all my handles with the metric tap is because some vintage Gillette Old Type heads are very under size and I don't want a very loose fit.

I had one of Bob's handles - and I found that an EJ/Muhle DE89 head was a perfect fit for the threads. It was a standard handle, and not one that had been modified to take a metric thread, so I think you should be OK.

I also use an EJ head with my bull mastiff - its really excellent. I did get mine from bob, but we did discuss metric threads as I told him it was for an ej head. I have a 2009/10 R41 and the head fits this also. these heads are are chrome plated, so you will get a 2 tone razor if you use these heads with the handle ( unless your handle is chrome plated!). I wish I got a new head with it now from bob.. you live and learn!

Back
Top Bottom