CONTENT

I think we need some...otherwise this place is just going to be about navel gazing and biscuits.
I am happy to do the lathering tutorials.

We need sticky's on the other topics to give new members a reason to join otherwise it will be like a stinky
old pub with the regulars just staring at their pints.

Even if we "borrow" content and add out own twist.

Its a good point although the mantic videos are already linked and stickied.I have a wiki installed and ready to be opened to people who want to add stuff.I think pictures and videos help but we do need regular content, any other ideas?

antdad said:
We need sticky's on the other topics to give new members a reason to join

Problem is that we are short of neophyte shavers to ask questions and stimulate answers, not that we are indolent.
I am by nature not the sort of person who offers unsought advice but will always help anyone who asks.
So what I am saying is if there was a "wanted" list of tutorials perhaps people might respond more positively and share their experience and knowlege.

SirPrize are you suggesting that we ask current members what "stickies/tutorials" should be posted or that the construction of a stickie/tutorial should be collaborative or indeed both.
I don't have a problem with any of that, I just think it is vital that for most subject categories there is something for a "neo" to get their teeth into here, at the moment there is very little fast and hard information here.

Maybe post a request for some content providers/editors pour over the good bits of Bodger and Blunt, pick over the details as long as folks are not precious about it. I think we can be open enough to make constructive comments but those editors have the final say otherwise nothing will get done.

I always thought the lathering tutorials were rubbish "over there" so that is why I am particularly keen on that topic. There was one tutorial on stick lathering...it was pants and there whooping it up saying great tutorial. NO it was sh*t.

SirPrize said:
So what I am saying is if there was a "wanted" list of tutorials perhaps people might respond more positively and share their experience and knowlege.

I agree - working with people who are obsessed by producing documentation to the point of not doing the job gets frustrating... so we need to decide what is needed.

Also if we go overboard on stickies, the forum risks becoming less "live" - you can see it in other places where the front page of 25 posts is taken up with 10 or more stickies.

hunnymonster said:
SirPrize said:

I agree - working with people who are obsessed by producing documentation to the point of not doing the job gets frustrating... so we need to decide what is needed.

Also if we go overboard on stickies, the forum risks becoming less "live" - you can see it in other places where the front page of 25 posts is taken up with 10 or more stickies.

I agree more than one or two is usually unnecessary

hunnymonster said:

Stickies could have their own home in a "Reference" section that people could consult at need, not being part of the live boards.

It has to be said that long-running sites such as B&B already have a lot of good information for new and experienced shavers. Not all great, and possibly some that is distinctly biased towards certain companies and products. But would it really be a good idea to try to create a UK carbon copy of these sites (if that is one possibility)? Perhaps we need something here that is unique in some way. I think the first thing we need to decide is what The Shaving Room is actually for. Are we trying to attract new members and spread the word about traditional wet shaving? Or are we happy to keep this as a place for ex-CONUK members to visit and do the occasional group buy, PIF and private sale, as well as chatting about trivia (and biscuits!)? Do we need reviews of shaving products - we haven't got a Reviews section at the moment.

I'm just thinking aloud, and am willing to add my 2p later, but if we can get in our collective minds where we want to be then it shouldn't be hard for us as a group to get there. Boab, can I ask what you think about this? Sorry if I'm going a bit OTT here. There are many greater minds than me here, and certainly chaps who are more in to the shaving side of things than me, so I'll stop now. :|

It's good to have discussions like this, everyone can bring something different to the table which will help.I have a wiki installed, just needs a bit of config work to get it ready.
I would like to see some buying guides, what to look for, types of razor,ballpark costs etc, maybe with some photo examples and good questions to ask the seller to avoid getting misled/ripped off.

IMHO what I like about The Shaving Room is that it gives a group of lads a chance to enjoy the cameraderie of a shared hobby and to share in some friendly banter, chat etc. I would think that most people finding their way here have already visited B&B (and others) for reviews and tips so there is no need for us to try to become B&B (UK). Doesn't do us any harm to have such content here as well but it's nice that we are UK focussed. There is a different sense of humour here. Links to vendors, opinions on UK available products are useful. One suggestion I would make would be a 'wanted' section where members could post requests for info from other members either requesting items or pointers as to where to get them (this could be a sub-section of BST). I'm very much enjoying the site as it stands currently :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom