Comedogenic Creams

In another thread Henk wrote:

" Some cosmetic ingredients can be comedogenic (inducing pimples). Here is a Dutch ultrabrief summary from a significant article by Lanzet (1986)..."

Didn't know anything about 'comedogenic' until now. My question to Henk and anybody else who might know about these things: Do most shaving creams contain spot-inducing ingredients? What are those ingredients?

I've noticed a few spots appearing recently and was wondering if this was the reason.

Cheers

A couple of weeks ago, I shaved for 7 consecutive days with TOBS lavender cream. On the 8th day (hehe) I started using something else but had started to break out, and had a series of zits around my chin area. Prime suspect is the TOBS cream.

Ian

Regardless of the comedogenicity (or absence of it) of the individual ingredients, it is highly unlikely that any shaving soap or cream is comedogenic as such. If so, they would've been pulled long ago ;-)

Zits are primarily caused by temporary or persistent hormonal (and other systemic) conditions, may be related to stress, and may also be related to diet, although the actual 'proof' for that is not universailly accepted.

Soaps are not considered to be comedogenic. Some cosmetics can be.

Back
Top Bottom